FAmSCo Meeting Minutes: 2006-05-15
- mspevack_hm reports:
- working on getting a PO for the video contest stuff, that should be done tonight/tomorrow once i have time to breathe
- other thing that's a big TODO for me is to update the budget table and figure out where we actually are money-wise. I'd like to do that for the next meeting
- i need to have the finance guys run the numbers on the cost center and see how much money we've spent
- lxmaier: I have a question on budget (table) http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/SteeringCommittee/Budget
- why did we subtract the cost of DVDs and shipment from the budget? i thought the DVD portion of the budget was separate ?
- mspevack_hm: well that update to the page wasn't me, but I agree with it. "DVD budget" is the cost of creating and delivering DVDs to people who need them" it's not like we have a separate shipping budget
- mspevack_hm: this is why we have such an incentive to get local production of stuff into place
Jack research on Issues
- JackAboutboul started his summer internship today. I've asked him to directly work on this problem, as per the proposal that I talked about several meetings ago
- he's researching, thinking about our issues, etc.
- he's going to put together a plan for how we can solve these problems within the next 2 weeks I'd say, and that will be presented to famsco/ambassadors
- tchung: I'm sorry specially what issues he's doing research on?
- mspevack_hm: couple things:
- 1 - getting the equivalent of "cool stuff" stores setup in different geos worldwide
- 2 - figuring out a process around which we can maybe use worldwide RHAT offices of hubs for swag
- 3 - following up on some leads for sponsored media that I haven't had time to track down, and working with you - tchung - on that
- 4 - finalizing the guidelines for self-sustaining events, etc as discussed previously
- 5 - presenting his plans to me/famsco for review and then implementing them
How are we doing?
- i'm wondring if FAMSCO is doing everything that it can to make the most of our ambassadors.
- I'm wondering if we can figure out which ambassadors are the most active, and I'm wondering what sort of measurable activities we can ask ambassadors to do other than run events
- i'm aware that we have a variety of "ambassadors mission statements" but i just have a sense that we could be doing even more
- i'm wondring if ambassadors are feeling as integrated as they could
- It's clearly time to ask the ambassadors this question.
- just a comment.
- it seems very quiet lately (in the ambassadors-list)
- and the reason seems to be that it's the final week for most schools.
- i have an interesting example
- i've been pinged a bunch of times by some people who want the Fedora Project to contribute an article for some tech magazine
- basically we can write 1800 words on Fedora
- whatever we want and they'll print it
- I'd love to be able to farm that out to a couple of community people
- people who aren't the biggest names in fedora and let them come up with a draft
- that seems ambassador-ish and could lead to a whole Fedora PR team
- Here's the thing:
- Ambassadors can only do as much as we empower them to do.
- Unfortunately...I think we've made some choices that have made that difficult.
- The branding/logo issue is one.
- The schwag centralization is another.
- We say to ambassadors, "go have a show..."
- "...but ask us for permission for this and that."
- I think that slows us down a bit...
- ...and I'm glad that Jack is working on some of it.
- So we'll see how that helps, I think.
- But it's also time to ask:
- "Ambassadors, what do you need to spread the word?"
- please also consider that writing an article is something out of realm of possible for most of them--writing takes skill, ask Jopp, so even though we had the "writing" and other more creative things were in the "ideas for ambassadors" the events are the easiest to do.
- i'm not saying they all have to do it. I'm saying that it's something I'd love to get community help with.
- I don't care if the person helping calls themself an "ambassador" or something else.
- It is the chance to empower someone in the community
- I'd love to see a subset of people -- and forget naming for a moment --
- who are good enough speakers/communicators that we can send them forth to *seek out interviews* and actively spread the fedora word that way
- i am all for it, it's just that each time i see us ask the community for concrete deeds, an spirited discussion ensues, but hardly more
- people who can write, speak, and persuade people about fedora
- so let's ask them for single things, that are concrete, as they come up
- and see who volunteers and delivers
- and then you remember who it was :-)
FAMSCO track on Action Items
- so if our own famsco members are so slow on the uptake, what do you expect from the rank-and-file ambassadors
- A couple of things:
- 1. Are ambassadors actually going out and kicking (behind) and not closing the loop, do we think?
- 2. These things that whomever volunteered to do -- where are they tracked?
- we track by going back and reviewing our meetings or make a note
- I have many projects and on my list is Fedora
- I get some done and others get pushed back
- my guess we all have jobs that keep us a bit off track
- tchung: Please note we have Meeting Agenda wiki page specifically designed for tracking.
- I just think ambassadors needs a bit of a kick in the (behind).
- It needs to be quicker to do stuff, and it needs to present tasks in a way that make them easily done. Putting on an event is hard
- and it's not something you do often
- we help with that, but we could do *way* better
- with permission of rest of FAMSCO
- i'd like to start just tossing smaller one-off marketingish type things to amabassadors list
- seeing if anyone bites and mentoring them through it
- like a summer of code for marketing
Follow up LinuxTag and two initiatives
- lxmaier: so yeah, gregdek_home, do you mind following up with florian and gerold? kinda post-mortem for LT?
- tchung: yes, we need a report for LinuxTag.
- lxmaier: i will follow up with evilbob about his two initiatives that are yet to happen
- gregdek_home: Current delivery date for store stuff: May 19th, firm.
- 2006-05-23 03:00 UTC (Monday in US)
- channel: #fedora-famsco (this is an invitation-only private channel)