Default Partition and Swap Algorithm Changes
See BZ 435402 and 150670 for the ongoing discussion. Basically include a separate /home. Note - find the swap BZ and add here
See BZ 435402 and 150670 for the ongoing discussion. Basically include a separate /home.
- Name: Chris Lumens
- email: TBD AT fedoraproject DOT org
- Targeted release: Fedora 12
- Last updated: 2009-07-08
- Percentage of completion: 10%
Change anaconda's default partitioning scheme. Update the swap allocation algorithm. See BZ 435402 and 150670 for the ongoing discussion. Major points of contention are how to do this with varying disk sizes, should we include a separate /home (yes). Note - find the swap BZ and add here
- Work items here
Benefit to Fedora
We need to make it easier to perform updates without losing data, accommodate larger disk/memory sizes correctly.
As minimal as we can make it.
How To Test
Testing will focus on default partitioning, testers should understand the desired outcome and be sure we create partitions correctly on a variety of underlying hardware.
We will have to verify the following areas of functionality as a starting point:
- creation/configuration of filesystems
- on new partitions
- on existing partitions
- on new LVM logical volumes
- on preexisting LVM logical volumes
- on new software RAID devices
- on existing software RAID devices
- creation of encrypted block devices at various levels in the device stack (partition, PV, LV, mdarray, &c)
- detection of arbitrarily complex device configurations (luks, mdraid, lvm, &c)
- management and configuration of existing encrypted block devices
- automatic partitioning of systems
- clearing of existing devices/partitions
- removal of existing devices
- reconfiguration of existing devices
- detection of existing upgradable installations with widely varied storage configurations
- rescue mounting of existing systems with a wide variety of storage configurations
This should improve the user's default experience with regard to the storage configuration portion of system installation.
- Must be coordinated with other anaconda storage work
Revert to previous code.
See Anaconda/StorageRewrite for further details.
- Install Guide update to reflect swap algorithm changes, new default partitioning, maybe new screenshots