Anaconda/Features/Encrypted Boot IPA key Management
|Line 42:||Line 42:|
== Bugzilla Numbers ==
== Bugzilla Numbers ==
* See Bug 458392 - [RFE] luks: add support for admin keyslot for the prereq from an anaconda POV
* Bug 488718 - (encrypted_LVM) Support for encrypted LVs in LVM2 & key management (tracker) for a description of work in progress
Revision as of 17:14, 7 July 2009
Anaconda Encrypted Boot IPA key Management
Provide enterprise-class key management support for encrypted devices
- Name: [Dave Lehman] / [Miloslav Trmac]
- Completed in F11: 50% - cryptsetup-luks changes are in
- remaining work for this feature will land by F12 beta (~2009-07-28)
- last update July 7, 2009
Miroslav is waiting for upstream acceptance of some cryptsetup changes, to avoid filing bugs that don't have the initial step as a dependency.
- Add one or two very small packages ("volume_key" or "volume_key-python", perhaps "volume_key-libs") to the installation image
- Add two kickstart options (he will post a pykickstart patch)
- Use the functionality provided by the volume_key* package to load a certificate from the network, and to store encryption keys or passphrases in a file after creating an encrypted volume. He expects the necessary code in anaconda to be < 100 lines.
- Add system-config-kickstart support for the new kickstart options; integrate with other planned changes to the storage configuration GUI, blocked on those.
- Add FirstAidKit support for recovering access to encrypted voluems using the stored encryption keys
Enterprise customers want a means by which they can guarantee access to the data on encrypted block devices in employees' systems. This way they still have a way in if the user changes the device's keys/passphrases.
Product Variants / High Level Use Cases
Relevant to desktops/laptops particularly, but depending upon implementation may be interesting for other products as well e.g. to support encrypted databases, medical records protection.
Cryptsetup-luks and anaconda interdependencies
- See Bug 458392 - [RFE] luks: add support for admin keyslot for the prereq from an anaconda POV
- Bug 488718 - (encrypted_LVM) Support for encrypted LVs in LVM2 & key management (tracker) for a description of work in progress