L10N Projects - Translations package
We could package all translations in a FedoraTranslation package instead of having them together with the packages.
The current approach mimics the Gnome one. Po files reside inside the 'po' directory of the application:
anaconda/ +po/ +bn.po +gu.po ... s-c-date/ +po/ +bn.po +gu.po ... .../
- Whole package needs rebuild to accomodate changes in a translation
- We have to create virtual 'translate' folder in CVS to gother together translations
- Is considered a "Horizental struture" (package include translation)
We consider changing the architecture to mimic the KDE one.
anconda/ (scripts) s-c-date/ (scripts) l10n/ bn/ anaconda.po s-c-date.po ... gu/ anaconda.po s-c-date.po ... ... templates/ anaconda.pot s-c-date.po ... (scripts)
- Transparent: Package Maintainer will have less trouble with languages while building package
- Easy to Maintain: No need to ask package maintainer to build package each time for single language
- Less load: Package maintainer has no Need to make POT files
- Bugzilla component: Bug can be directly file againist language package for Lang, so Lang Maintainer will be Responsible for that,
- No more Whole package rebuild for Translation
- Translator are independent from SOURCE like "tranlate" folder (now in fedora), but more flexible
- CVS branch. Example:
anaconda- > RHEL (branched) /po >Fedora /po
anaconda > RHEL (branched) /po >Fedora /po bn > RHEL (branched) /anaconda.po >Fedora /anaconda.po
Langauge package can be rebuild indepentenly with Brachnes and easy to maintain for issue in branches.
Possible issues with proposal
- L10n should become the maintainer for l10n packages (if its a package per language then we need multiple maintainers)
- Every package needs to change to remove the po directory
- Makefile might need to change?