- 1 Convert Fedora Cloud Image to Fedora Server ("Adopt Your Cattle")
Convert Fedora Cloud Image to Fedora Server ("Adopt Your Cattle")
We provide a smooth path so a Cloud Base Image can be turned into Fedora Server. Fedora Cloud images are designed to be run and managed as scale-out undifferentiated "cattle", while Fedora Server is intended for more "pet-like" individually-managed servers.
(See this presentation if you aren't familiar with the pets-vs-cattle cloud computing metaphor.)
- Name: Matthew Miller, Stephen Gallagher, Kushal Das
- Email: mattdm at fedoraproject, sgallagh at redhat.com, email@example.com
- Release notes owner:
- Product: Cloud and Server
- Responsible WG: Cloud
- Status: 100% Code Complete
- Targeted release: Fedora 21
- Last updated: 2014-04-04
- Tracker bug: #1090886
A simple script which will take a generic Fedora Cloud Base Image (Instance) and turn it into Fedora Server (instance).
Benefit to Fedora
This helps address some of the blurry lines between the Cloud and Server products. It gives an easy path for someone who wants to run a traditional server in a public or private cloud environment to get there from images we provide. And, if someone's intended-to-be-cattle server starts developing a personality, this gives a way to deal with that.
- Proposal owners:
Will work with Cloud and Server SIG members to develop the script and documentation and policies around it.
- Other developers: N/A
- Release engineering: N/A
- Policies and guidelines: N/A
Systems migrated to Fedora Server in this way should be upgradeable via the normal processes recommended for Fedora Server upgrades, subject to the inherent limitations of cloud providers (e.g., no interactive console access).
How To Test
- Launch a Fedora Cloud Base Image
- Run the conversion script
- Treat resulting system as Fedora Server
No previous functionality exists. New user experience should be simple and command-line based.
Existence of Fedora Cloud and Fedora Server.
- Contingency mechanism: Functionality will not exist
- Contingency deadline: beta freeze
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? No
Documentation will be written but needs to match code which does not exist yet.
Adopt Your Cattle! Fedora Cloud is aimed at providing scale-out, largely undifferentiated compute resources. If you want to turn a cloud node into Fedora Server, we have a method for doing so. Read documentation at ...