Fedora 21 Make 4.0 Update
This change brings Make 4.0 to Fedora 21.
- Name: Patsy Franklin
- Email: email@example.com
- Release notes owner:
- Backup contact, co-maintainer: Petr Machata
- Targeted release: Fedora 21
- Last updated: 2014-04-08
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
The purpose of this update is to synchronize Fedora with the most recent Make release.
Several new features, new command line options, new variables, and bug fixes have been implemented in Make 4.0.
Improved error reporting may result in log file differences. If a recipe fails, the makefile name and linenumber of the recipe are shown.
There is one backwards-incompatibility regarding the use of .POSIX. Make 4.0 will adhere to POSIX requirements for backshlash/newline handling. See the link included under Documentation for more details.
A new subpackage make-devel will be created containing gnumake.h,a new file containing externally-visible content.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora will stay relevant, as far as Make is concerned.
New features and bug fixes will improve the usability and quality of the package for Fedora users.
- Proposal owners:
- Rebase to make-4.0
- 6 patches need to be updated to work with new sources
- 14 patches will be removed as they are already supported by the make-4.0 rebase
- make.spec will be updated
- local build and test (already completed for glibc and gcc)
- patch created and submitted
- Other developers:
There are some minor error message changes that may show up as log file differences.
If a package's makefile requires a specific version of make, the makefiles may need editing to include make 4.0.
- Release engineering:
There will be a new subpackage make-devel.
- Policies and guidelines: N/A
No impact on system upgrade.
How To Test
- No special hardware is needed.
- Integration testing simply consists of installing Make packages on Fedora and checking that it continues to work as expected.
Expected to remain largely the same.
Revert back to current version of Make on Fedora 21.
- Contingency mechanism: Revert the shipped configuration. Remove the patch and spec file changes associated with this update.
- Contingency deadline: mass rebuild
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? None
Make has been upgraded to version 4.0. This upgrade includes several bug fixes and new features. It also includes new command line options and new variables to improve usability.