Update GNOME to the latest upstream release
- Name: Matthias Clasen and the desktop SIG
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Fedora 20
- Last updated: 2013-08-10
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
The highlights of GNOME 3.10 include
- A new maps applications: gnome-maps
- A new music application: gnome-music
- A revamped system status menu
- Flickr support in gnome-photos
- Zimbra support in evolution
Initial support running gnome-shell as a Wayland compositor is also a goal for 3.10, together with improved touch support and supported for scaled output on high-dpi displays.
For detailed descriptions and designs of the features that are being worked on for GNOME 3.8, see the feature list.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora stays in sync with upstream.
- Keep existing GNOME packages updated
- Follow upstream module changes
- Package new applications and new dependencies of existing GNOME packages
N/A (not a System Wide Change)
How To Test
Generic 'desktop testing' is always appropriate for a major new desktop version.
Specific testing for new features: TBD
Overall desktop experience should be largely unchanged from F18.
Noticeable changes in the details:
- The system status menus will be replaced by a single, combined menu
- gnome-software is described in its one page: Changes/AppInstaller
- If GNOME 3.10 does not happen in time for Fedora 20, ship a release candidate like 3.9.91
- Upstream will also look at dropping individual features if they are not ready in time
- GNOME 3.10 https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointNine/Features
- GNOME 3.10 https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointNine/
- GNOME 3.10 https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.10/ (not yet available)
Fedora 20 includes the latest version of the GNOME desktop, 3.10. For more information about what is new in this GNOME release, see the [release notes|https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.10/].