Transitive Trusts with Active Directory support for FreeIPA
FreeIPA will support transitive trusts with Active Directory
- Name: Alexander Bokovoy
- Email: email@example.com
- Release notes owner: <To be assigned by docs team>
- Targeted release: Fedora 20
- Last updated: 2013-07-16
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
FreeIPA in Fedora 19 already supports cross-realm trusts with Active Directory. New version of FreeIPA will make possible to use FreeIPA identities to access resources in Active Directory, for example, to log-on into Windows workstations.
Benefit to Fedora
Environments with FreeIPA and cross-realm trusts to Active Directory domains will be fully integrated in both directions (AD -> FreeIPA and FreeIPA -> AD).
This change requires expansion of logic in FreeIPA-provided database driver to Kerberos KDC. Additionally, it requires development of Global Catalog Service compatible with Active Directory. This is fairly isolated effort within FreeIPA.
- Other developers: no effect
- Release engineering: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
Feature should be compatible with existing FreeIPA 3.x installs. Upgrade of LDAP data store is done through existing FreeIPA upgrade functionality.
How To Test
Test instructions are maintained at http://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/IPAv3_AD_trust_setup
No visible UI changes planned.
Required changes are isolated to FreeIPA.
- Contingency mechanism: no Global Catalog service will be available to users (current state in Fedora 19)
- Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Blocks release? No
- Development is being planned for FreeIPA 3.4 version
To be completed by the Change Freeze!