cron to systemd time units
Fix dependency on crontab in packages containing cron jobs as well as migrate cron jobs that are applicable to native systemd timer units.
- Name: Jóhann B. Guðmundsson
- Email: johannbg AT gmail DOT com
- Release notes owner:
- Targeted release: Fedora 21
- Last updated: 04/03/2014
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
Add dependency on crontab in packages containing cron jobs as well as migrate cron jobs that are applicable to native systemd timer units in packages that already depend on systemd.
Benefit to Fedora
Proper dependency in packages shipping cron jobs. Better systemd integration in the distribution.
- Policies and guidelines: Adjust packaging guidelines to fix dependency in cron packages Package Cron Files DONE
- Fix spec files in packages that are not applicable for migration Fix Cron Dependency Tracking Bug
- Adjust packaging guidelines to mention migration of cron jobs to timer units for packages that already depend on systemd
- Review and migrate if applicable cron jobs shipped in packages that already depend on systemd Timer Migration Tracking Bug
- Update systemd wikipage to contain timer units example
For application that are applicable for migration the cron job will be migrated to native timer units.
List of components might be migrated are here.
amavisd-new apt arm4 atop bcfg2 clement cyrus-imapd dbmail denyhosts dspam exim fetch-crl freeipa hylafax+ inn leafnode ltsp mailman mcelog mdadm mldonkey newscache nsd opendnssec openvas-scanner ovirt-engine ovirt-node polipo sagator sipwitch spamassassin squidGuard subscription-manager sysstat vdsm vnstat yum-cron
How To Test
- Install the package that contains the new native systemd timer unit file.
- Check if the the time trigger ran
Administrators will have better time trigger in units compared to cron jobs like for example when administrator stops a service/daemon the timer unit will stop as well etc.
No external dependency
- Contingency mechanism: Continue to ship the cron jobs as is.
- Contingency deadline: N/A
- Blocks release: No
- updated guidelines and systemd wiki page
There shouldn't be anything we need to specifically say other than highlighting the change.