Cloud Marketing Collateral/OpenStack in Fedora
OpenStack in Fedora Marketing Flyer
This page is currently brainstorming for text for a flyer focused on OpenStack in F16/F17.
OpenStack is a suite of components that enable the provisioning of IaaS cloud platforms, either public or private. OpenStack is open source and though a relatively young project is widely supported.
OpenStack in F16
The Diablo versions of these core OpenStack projects were provided
- Nova - a service to manage virtual machines, including stopping, starting, live migration etc.
In Fedora, enhancements were made to Nova to support libguestfs which increased the variety of Virtual Machine image formats that could be manipulated.
- Glance - a VM image, registration service, providing a REST interface to image caching and retrieval.
- Swift - an object storage service akin to Amazon's S3 service.
Also included in Fedora 16 were these Diablo incubation projects
- Keystone - a centralized identity and authentication service to support multi-tenant clouds.
- Quantum - an advanced networking framework supporting plugins for advanced network features.
What's Coming in Fedora 17
OpenStack is updated to the Essex release. Highlights include:
- Better integration with the now core Keystone service
- The Dashboard self service and administration UI is included
- openvswitch is available for use by Quantum
- QPID is now used as the messaging transport which simplifies dependencies
- libguestfs integration is now supported upstream
- The computes nodes optimize handling of VM images to minimize time and disk space used
- KVM supports booting from ISOs and better control over disk images
- Nova now provides separated "admin" and "volume" APIs
- Glance optimizes transfering of images and shows progress for transfers