Cornish Language Translation Project
This page contains the details of the Fedora Cornish Language Translation Project. Its in the very early stages at the moment, but watch this space for further developmenmts
IANA Language Codes
The project covers the following language tags.
- kw, kw-GB (Cornish, unspecified orthography)
- kw-uccor (Cornish, Unified orthography)
- kw-ucrcor (Cornish, Unified Revised orthography)
- kw-kkcor (Cornish, Commom Cornish orthography)
Note that the Standard Written Form does not yet have a tag. It might be possible to use kw I suppose... again watch this space for developments.
To avoid issues of which orthography (spelling system) to use, I'm proposing the following rules for the project:
- Make sure you know which orthography you are going to use
- Make sure that you clearly label (by using the correct IANA tag) the files
- Please don't mix and match the different orthographies in the same file
- There is no harm in having multiple translations of the same software, although its better to have one complete translation than several partial ones.
- I would generally encourage the use of the Standard Written Form (SWF) if you do not have any particular personal preference
- Please don't criticize anybody just because they happen to prefer using a different orthography to you
I know of only one package currently with a Cornish translation, and that is glibc. The translation appears to be in UC, and is incomplete. The language tag which has been used is kw_GB.
- glibc - Need a complete locale, not just translations
- A spell checker - Need to find a Cornish word list/dictionary with an open license
Will be called email@example.com
Resources / External Links
- Cornish Language on Wikipedia