FUDCon:India 2011 website
FUDCon: Fedora Users and Developers Conference
FUD: An acronym for Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. A typical tactic used by the opponents of open source to prevent its widespread adoption.
Con: In opposition or disagreement with; against.
FUDCon is the Fedora Users and Developers Conference, a major free software event held in various regions around the world, usually annually per region. FUDCon is a combination of sessions, talks, workshops, and hackfests in which contributors work on specific initiatives. Topics include infrastructure, feature development, community building, general management and governance, marketing, testing and QA, packaging, etc.
FUDCon is always free to attend for anyone in the world.
Components of a FUDCon
A FUDCon typically includes some combination of:
They are usually scheduled over a weekend.
What is a FUDCon like?
These videos of past events give a idea of what a FUDCon is like:
COEP (College of Engineering Pune) is an engineering college in Pune, India. Established in 1854, it is the third oldest engineering college in all of Asia, after the College of Engineering, Guindy (1794) and IIT Roorkee (1847). COEP is ranked around 20 in All India ranking after the IIT's and few NIT's. It is one of the best Engineering colleges in Maharashtra and best in Pune. COEP has a large auditorium with a capacity of a 1000 people, good connectivity and is a supporter of various Free and open source activities including its own free software users group.
College of Engineering, Pune Wellesely Road, Shivajinagar, Pune-411 005 Maharashtra, India Phone: +91-20-25507000
- 4 to 6th of November 2011
4th and 5th will be talks and 6th will be hackfests. 6th night is FUDPub. We recommend that you come by atleast 3rd night and you can leave by 7th morning. If you need to arrive early or leave later, let us know ahead of time and we can make the necessary arrangements.
If you are travelling from outside India, we recommend you look for a direct flight to Mumbai as it is likely to be a more economical option. We can arrange a taxi to pick you up at the airport and drop you directly at the hotel. It takes about 4 hours to reach Pune from Mumbai.
We have organized a special discount at Cocoon. This hotel is walking distance from Red Hat Office in Pune and about 9 kilometres from the conference venue. We will be arranging a bus or van to pick you up from the hotel and drop you at the venue and vice versa at a pre determined schedule as a group.
- Cocoon Approx 40 dollars per day (complimentary breakfast, wi-fi, laundry, mineral water)
Things to know
- Official currency: Rupees (RS)
- Time zone: IST(UTC/GMT +5:30 hour)
- Electrical ratings: 230V/50Hz
- Official Maharashtra Tourist Information
- Lonely Planet Information
- Laptop with 802.11b/g wireless
- Extension cord (and power adapter, if from outside India)
- Ethernet cable (for hotel and/or hackfest)
- Recommended: Bring a Fedora Friend Finder (power strip)
- Credit card (VISA or MasterCard) or small amount of cash (ATMs are nearby the hotel and venue)
- Your presentation slides or anything needed for the hackfest
- Casual clothes for the event (weather is average 25C)
- Visa/Passport and power adaptor (International participants)
Schedule and Speakers
- Day 1:
* Inaugural Session * Keynote by Fedora Project Lead * Talks and sessions
- Day 2:
* Talks and sessions
- Day 3:
* Hackfest * FUDPub - A social gathering
- Keynote Speaker: Typically every FUDCon starts with a keynote address by the current Fedora Project Leader.
- Many of the talks will be selected based on voting
Meet the team
FUDCon Pune 2011 is brought to you by the organizing team (alphabetic order):
* Ankur Sinha (Booklet) * Amit Shah (Secretary, Budget) * Kushal Das (Goodies, Photography) * Narayan Murty Gundala (Logistics) * Prasad J Pandit (Catering) * Rahul Sundaram (Event owner, Infrastructure, Marketing) * Saleem Ansari (Website) * Satya Komaragiri (Hospitality) * Shakthi Kannan (Organization of FADs) * Shreyank Gupta (Volunteer management) * Suchakra (COEP contact, Posters, Banners)
Contact Rahul Sundaram