FUDCon and FAD locations
After seeing the vibrant Linux community in Athens, as well as the comparatively inexpensive costs and excellent subway system, MaxSpevack suggested Athens as a potential location for a FUDCon, but needs to follow up with Dimitris to gauge interest.
- Facilities: There is a good chance we could get space at the National Technical University of Athens. PierrosPapadeas is studying there and can help us with that.
- A few FOSS conferences were held there (including FossComm in which Fedora was represented), infrastructure is pretty OK (don't know the details yet but since it's a University it should be OK). Network, wifi, sound in main area of 200, projectors are pretty much covered there. There's also a big lobby area.
- Photos: main room, lobby/cafe, spam, floor.
- Lodging -- Since it's Athens I'm pretty sure we can find a multitude of hotels close by. The venue is a 10' bus from the heart of Athens, the Parthenon etc. Prices are decent (ticket for bus/metro/etc 80c, day ticket €3).
- Budget -- Probably quite lower than other European capitals and expensive cities, but possibly a bit higher than others like Brno.
- Availability: We'll need some concrete dates possible early on to book the venue. The fact that it's weekend will probably make things easier.
- Other details: Two of the local ambassadors (PierrosPapadeas,KostasAntonakoglou are eagerly willing to help. ( :) ) Local LUG is willing to help out. Probably 30+ hackers will come around to participate/watch/etc, since the community here is quite vibrant.
- Flights from big airports in central Europe (Munich, Brussels, Zurich) should cost around 200-300 €. For direct flights check Greek Aegean and Olympic Airlines and local airlines (eg. Lufthansa). Easyjet from London 150-200€.
- GeroldKassube: the price for the cheapest flight (I found today) from Zurich to Athens (both ways) costs approx. CHF 500,- which is about ~ EUR 325,-
FUDCon would be either in Utrecht or Delft, both a short train ride from Amsterdam's airport. For phase 1, we need information about FUDCon location, potential hotel information, and options for dates of the event.
- Benefits of this location:
- We can throw one, two or three "Free as in Free Beer" parties
- New office in Delft, presumably sufficient for about 250 people (dunno about the (conference-)rooms yet though)
India & Asia/Pacific