Owner: User:Ppapadeas (bidding for FUDCon EMEA 2012)
After seeing the vibrant Linux community in Athens, as well as the comparatively inexpensive costs and excellent subway system, MaxSpevack suggested Athens as a potential location for a FUDCon, but needs to follow up with Dimitris to gauge interest.
- Facilities: There is a good chance we could get space at the National Technical University of Athens. PierrosPapadeas is studying there and can help us with that.
- A few FOSS conferences were held there (including FossComm in which Fedora was represented), infrastructure is pretty OK (don't know the details yet but since it's a University it should be OK). Network, wifi, sound in main area of 200, projectors are pretty much covered there. There's also a big lobby area.
- Photos: main room, lobby/cafe, spam, floor.
- Lodging -- Since it's Athens I'm pretty sure we can find a multitude of hotels close by. The venue is a 10' bus from the heart of Athens, the Parthenon etc. Prices are decent (ticket for bus/metro/etc 80c, day ticket €3).
- Budget -- Probably quite lower than other European capitals and expensive cities, but possibly a bit higher than others like Brno.
- Availability: We'll need some concrete dates possible early on to book the venue. The fact that it's weekend will probably make things easier.
- Other details: Two of the local ambassadors (PierrosPapadeas,KostasAntonakoglou are eagerly willing to help. ( :) ) Local LUG is willing to help out. Probably 30+ hackers will come around to participate/watch/etc, since the community here is quite vibrant.
- Flights from big airports in central Europe (Munich, Brussels, Zurich) should cost around 200-300 €. For direct flights check Greek Aegean and Olympic Airlines and local airlines (eg. Lufthansa). Easyjet from London 150-200€.
- GeroldKassube: the price for the cheapest flight (I found today) from Zurich to Athens (both ways) costs approx. CHF 500,- which is about ~ EUR 325,-
Owner: Zoltanh721 and Kital
Facilities: There is an good opportunity to hold an grand event at Hungary, with a support of hungarian open source companies, like Balabit (upstream devs of syslog-ng), or Andrews (FSF.HU) just name the few. Also, this could be the main event where formerly eastern european countries are could meet, after a long time happened at Brno. We could get space with an huge chance at BME  IT building  where formerly few FSF events were held. This building is similar to Zurich ETH, with plenty of space, and a huge lobby.
Fudcon 2012 Blacksburg Virginia Tech Campus Tentative Dates Jan 13-15th 2012 McBryde Hall (Tentative) Hackfest Friday and Sunday with BarCamp on Saturday
Distance for Raliegh NC 200-233 Miles (depending on route)
Closest Airport is about 35 Miles away Roanoke VA Planefare at time of checking (2/22/11)
Boston Roanoke ~$299 LAX to Roanoke ~$441
Smartway Bus to/from Airport http://www.smartwaybus.com/schedule.htm
Local Mass Transit Blacksburg Transit http://www.blacksburg.gov/index.aspx?page=791
Several Hotels close to campus
Virginia Tech is a huge college with lots of bandwidth to be able to handle Fudcon without a problem Also a Fedora Mirror.
FudPub in Breakzone in Squires Student Center (tentative)
India & Asia/Pacific