Fedora Weekly News Issue 249
Welcome to Fedora Weekly News Issue 249 for the week ending October 27, 2010. What follows are some highlights from this issue.
The audio version of FWN - FAWN - is back! You can listen to existing issues on the Internet Archive. If anyone is interested in helping spread the load of FAWN production, please contact us!
If you are interested in contributing to Fedora Weekly News, please see our 'join' page. We welcome reader feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
In this section, we cover the highlights of Planet Fedora - an aggregation of blogs from Fedora contributors worldwide.
Contributing Writer: Adam Batkin
The Red Hat Press office highlighted one of the new features in the upcoming Fedora 14: SCAP. "SCAP is a line of standards managed by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). It provides a standardized approach to maintaining the security of systems, such as automatically verifying the presence of patches, checking system security configuration settings, and examining systems for signs of compromise."
Richard W.M. Jones announced the new http://virt-tools.org/ website. Already, the website is filled with useful documentation and articles. While on the topic of virtualization, Richard described a new on-disk format that is being developed for for VMs, QEMU Enhanced Disk format (QED). And if your VM is taking up too much space, but it is mostly empty, you can<http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2010/10/19/tip-making-a-disk-image-sparse/</ref> make your VM disk sparse.
"Some of you will remember 8-bit and 16/32-bit computers produced in the 80-ties and early 90-ties by a company called Atari. " Dan Horák is packaging some required emulators and supporting software to bring the 80's into the 21st century.
In this section, we cover the happenings for Fedora Marketing Project from 2010-10-20 to 2010-10-26.
Contributing Writer: Neville A. Cross
Jonas Karlsson started a thread asking about the "core" still present on the packaging names as "fc" designation. Paul W. Frields stated that there are technical reasons for keeping, and thus has been renamed as "Fedora Collection". Beth Lynn Eicher followed up by editing the FAQ wiki to include a answer to that question. Rahul Sundaram contributed more details.
Robyn Bergeron announced that she has posted her interview with Justin Forbes regarding EC2 feature profile.
Last week was asked about links to photo albums for using pictures in the One Release note. Neville A. Cross posted that he browsed all the links and made a pre-selection.
This section covers the news surrounding the Fedora Ambassadors Project.
Contributing Writer: Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
Welcome New Ambassadors
This week the Fedora Ambassadors Project had a new member joining.
Summary of traffic on Ambassadors mailing list
Chris Tyler thought  the multi-desktop DVD to be a 'great idea' but it seemed 'a bit rushed'. He suggested moving this to the F15 timeframe so as to ensure a pleasant end user experience
Further discussion around the timing of introduction of the multi-desktop DVD happened on the thread 
Scott Williams posted  about a possible Fedora Activity Day at SCaLE and asked about things that could be done.
Christopher Hawker thought about a FAD at Sydney, Australia  that could be arranged.
Scott Williams posted  a request from SCaLE about a 'portable mirror' to be present on-site during the show
John Poelstra posted  details of upcoming Fedora tasks in light of GA being a week away
Summary of traffic on FAmSCo mailing list
Max Spevack posted  about the FAmSCo election nominations  The thread  has mails from other FAmSCo members discussing about re-election and also posting messages to various Ambassador forums.
Joerg Simon informed  that the meeting on 2010-10-25 had no quorum to vote but there was discussion  about FUDCon LATAM 2011  and, a request to provide 1200 USD in form of funding for Fedora presence  at Comic Con
This section covers the news surrounding the Fedora Translation (L10n) Project.
Contributing Writer: Runa Bhattacharjee
Fedora 14 Tasks
John Poelstra informed in the list about the upcoming tasks for Fedora 14. As per the schedule, review and correction of the Final Translated Guides (i.e. daily build htmls), Website content and 0-day Release Notes is currently underway.
Updates to Various Modules of Fedora Websites
Publican 2.3 Released
Ruediger Landmann announced the release of Publican v2.3. A number of bugs related to localization have been fixed in this version. Also, Release Notes have been made available for the first time with a Publican release. The updated packages of the new version are available on koji.
New Members and Sponsors in FLP
In this section, we cover the Fedora Design Team.
Contributing Writer: Nicu Buculei
As a new contributor to the Design Team, Bryan Nielsen completed his first task with guidance from Jakub Steiner "Thanks for all the assistance in putting this together, there were some gaps in my Inkscape and SVG knowledge and skills that have now been filled." After growing in experience he grew confidence to continue "I'm looking forward to taking on another ticket once this one is put to bed" and started working on another icon "I quickly threw together a couple of hires mock ups that reuse existing components", again with Jakub's guidance "Here's a few tips. Starting with a highres always leads to suboptimal metaphors. Think how you'd execute that at 16x16px."
Felipe Echeverria, new contributor to the Design Team, tackled as his first task the logo/icon design for the blogging client Lekhonee, a ticket open for a long time. He works with guidance from Máirín Duffy "maybe rotate the pen on the right 90 degrees clockwise, so the two pen nibs make an 'L' for Lekhonee. But as they are now they make a great 'W' which makes me think of Wordpress so this may be entirely unnecessary" and advancing in subsequent iterations
Luya Tshimbalanga posted his mockups for an Anaconda redesign "I started to work on initial Fedora installer mockup. The concept is based on openSUSE first screen installer (GRUB) and uses design team default typeface", Máirín Duffy explained is a bit early for this task before an usability study "I think it's fine to work through visual design ideas right now, but we haven't really begun a usability assessment of Anaconda so I also think it's a bit too early to start mocking up the UI screen-by-screen" and proposed the Fedora 15 development cycle for this "Yep definitely, once F14 is out the door I definitely want to start working with the Anaconda team and post stuff here on-list as well as on the wiki."
In this section, we cover Security Advisories from fedora-package-announce.
Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco
Fedora 14 Security Advisories
Fedora 13 Security Advisories
- sepostgresql-9.0.1-20101007.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049851.html
- mozvoikko-1.0-15.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049835.html
- gnome-web-photo-0.9-13.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049832.html
- perl-Gtk2-MozEmbed-0.08-6.fc13.18 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049830.html
- gnome-python2-extras-2.25.3-23.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049834.html
- galeon-2.0.7-34.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049833.html
- firefox-3.6.11-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049831.html
- xulrunner-22.214.171.124-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049829.html
- nss-util-3.12.8-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049760.html
- nss-softokn-3.12.8-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049761.html
- nss-3.12.8-2.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049762.html
- glibc-2.12.1-3 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049730.html
- ocsinventory-agent-126.96.36.199-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049719.html
- tuxguitar-1.2-3.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049697.html
Fedora 12 Security Advisories
- ocsinventory-agent-188.8.131.52-1.fc12 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049731.html
- java-1.6.0-openjdk-184.108.40.206-220.127.116.11.fc12 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049702.html
- tuxguitar-1.2-3.fc12 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2010-October/049683.html