Fedora Weekly News Issue 269
Welcome to Fedora Weekly News Issue 269 for the week ending March 30, 2011. What follows are some highlights from this issue.
An audio version of some issues of FWN - FAWN - are available! You can listen to existing issues on the Internet Archive. If anyone is interested in helping spread the load of FAWN production, please contact us!
If you are interested in contributing to Fedora Weekly News, please see our 'join' page. We welcome reader feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fedora In the News
In this section, we cover news from the trade press and elsewhere that is re-posted to the Fedora Marketing list.
Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco
Red Hat Proves That Open Source Is Good for Business (PC World)
"Critics of free and open source software are fond of making the argument that software must be locked up, patented and jealously guarded if it is to serve as the basis for a successful business. Well, Red Hat just refuted such claims in a big way this week with its fourth quarter earnings report, which blew away analysts' expectations and placed the company well on track for billion-dollar revenues in the upcoming year."
Based in North Carolina, Red Hat is the company behind both the Fedora and the Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Linux distributions. Fedora is the free, community version of the software, while RHEL is sold as acommercial product with support and services."
The full article is available.
This section covers the news surrounding the Fedora Ambassadors Project.
Contributing Writer: Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
Welcome New Ambassadors
This week the Fedora Ambassadors Project had a couple of new members joining.
Everton Cardoso from Brazil mentored by Daniel Bruno
Summary of traffic on Ambassadors mailing list
Christoph Wickert raised  some questions regarding the budget  Max Spevack provided  actual figures from the expenses. David Nalley mentioned  that some of the issues raised in the mail were also part of the Board IRC meeting and, discussions were ongoing as the same was an agenda item in the upcoming Board meeting.
Onyeibo Oku asked  if there was an existing print-ready, A5 sized booklet covering the basics of Fedora for handing out at events. Zoltan Hopper responded  about a scratch document available at the Marketing Page. There was further discussion around the difference between a Quick-Start and a Handbook  and the possibility of building a Quick Start Guide  based upon the SXSW Materials 
Christoph Wickert posted  Minutes of EMEA Ambassadors Meeting  The thread  had additional discussion around allocation of funds under budget line items and, expense planning based on projected needs. The decision making process within FAmSCo was also discussed.
Buddhika Kurera requested help  in finding a co-speaker for CLT2011
Adam Miller put out a last call for funding for Texas Linux Fest 2011 
Summary of events reported on Ambassadors mailing list
Summary of traffic on FAmSCo mailing list
Joerg Simon, as the Fedora Ambassador Membership Administrator, informed FAmSCo  about existing continuous violations of Fedora Ambassador Conduct  Follow-up discussions happened on the ticket and the thread 
Contributing Writer: Adam Williamson
Thursday 2011-03-24 was power management Test Day. The event produced a great turnout of testers who provided results on a wide range of hardware, and the developers are already looking at the bugs filed. Thanks to everyone who came out to help.
This Tuesday, 2011-03-29, was printing Test Day. The turnout was a little smaller than we hoped, but the testers who did come managed to find lots of bugs, and Fedora's printing maintainer, Tim Waugh, was very happy with all the results.
This Thursday, 2011-03-31, will be ABRT Test Day. As well as checking that ABRT (Fedora's automated crash report tool) is working as expected for Fedora 15, we'll be testing out a big new feature, the retrace server. This allows you to submit crash reports to a remote server which will generate the backtrace - avoiding the need for you to download and install often large debuginfo packages in order to submit reports. Please come along and help us test this exciting new feature!
There is currently no Test Day planned for next Thursday, 2011-04-07. Take the day off!
James Laska requested testing of an installer image which included updated versions of anaconda and lorax that needed testing before being approved as stable updates. Several testers responded, and the updates were soon approved.
GNOME Tweak Tool testing
Michel Salim announced that GNOME Tweak Tool, an application for tweaking various advanced settings in GNOME 3, was now available for testing. Several group members thanked Michel for the announcement and provided feedback on the tool.
Fedora 15 Beta preparation
The third Beta blocker/nice-to-have review meeting took place on 2011-03-25, and the team worked through the full list of proposed Beta blocker and nice-to-have bugs. The first test compose was scheduled for Tuesday 2011-03-22, but could not be completed on that day due to various outstanding bugs and the lack of the planned NetworkManager 0.9 packages. At a special release schedule meeting on Wednesday 2011-03-23, the QA and release engineering teams, and the Fedora Project Leader, agreed that the late arrival of NetworkManager 0.9 justified a one week slip in the release schedule. The first test compose was then set for Tuesday 2011-03-29.
Improving pre-release download page
Tim Flink passed on some feedback he had received from a new tester who had downloaded a pre-release and asked some questions in the #fedora IRC channel, which does not handle pre-release issues. He suggested that it would be a good idea to add some text to the pre-release download page explaining the right places to go to post feedback and get help with pre-release issues. Jóhann Guðmundsson and Adam Williamson both suggested filing a request with the websites team, and Tim reported that he had filed a ticket.
In this section, we cover Security Advisories from fedora-package-announce from the past week.
Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco
Fedora 15 Security Advisories
- libxml2-2.7.8-6.fc15 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/057031.html
- logrotate-3.7.9-8.fc15 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/056992.html
- asterisk-188.8.131.52-1.fc15 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/056945.html
- php-doctrine-Doctrine-1.2.4-1.fc15 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/056936.html
- roundcubemail-0.5.1-1.fc15 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/056917.html
- nss-3.12.9-14.fc15 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/056832.html
- subversion-1.6.16-1.fc15 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/056736.html
- libcgroup-0.37.1-1.fc15 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/056734.html
- phpMyAdmin-3.3.10-1.fc15 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/056730.html
- maniadrive-1.2-29.fc15 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/056642.html
- php-eaccelerator-0.9.6.1-6.fc15 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/056641.html
- php-5.3.6-1.fc15 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/056640.html
Fedora 14 Security Advisories
- phpMyAdmin-3.3.10-1.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/057005.html
- wordpress-3.1-1.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/057003.html
- gnash-0.8.9-1.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/056780.html
- libcgroup-0.36.2-6.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/056683.html
- krb5-1.8.2-9.fc14 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/056579.html
Fedora 13 Security Advisories
- phpMyAdmin-3.3.10-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/057007.html
- wordpress-3.1-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/056998.html
- gnash-0.8.9-1.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/056787.html
- krb5-1.7.1-18.fc13 - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/package-announce/2011-March/056573.html