(accepted by fesco 2008-12-17)
|Line 93:||Line 93:|
Revision as of 16:42, 19 December 2008
Boot faster than the F10 Features/30SecondStartup. Make Fedora boot and shut down faster. The goal is to be at the login screen in 20 seconds and be as fast as possible after the login (gnome-session).
- Name: HaraldHoyer <email@example.com>
- Targeted release: Fedora 11
- Last updated: (Dec 17 2008)
- Percentage of completion: 0%
Identify bloated tasks in the boot process and make them faster and use less disk I/O.
See: Fedora 10 top 5 disk usage tasks http://www.harald-hoyer.de/personal/blog/fedora-10-disk-io
See, if sreadahead can be used (needs kernel patch), and if upstart can start core service in parallel.
Benefit to Fedora
A faster boot makes for happy users.
Possibly involves all packages that are involved in the boot sequence, udev, module-init-tools, kernel, nash, upstart, readahead, setroubleshoot, gdm.
- install bootchart
- modify /sbin/bootchartd to exit on "firefox" not "gdm kdm" etc. and sleep 10-20 seconds after that
- reboot, login, start firefox, close firefox
- measure time until closing of firefox
Turn on computer, wait 20 seconds, select user on login screen.
- maybe kernel for sreadahead
- gdm login infrastrucure
- no regression in other parts of the system
This is an incremental feature. If we don't quite get down to 20 seconds, too bad, we can just take whatever improvements we have.
- Fedora 10 top 5 disk usage tasks
- Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis
- microcontrol_ctl busy polling https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=476023
- /usr/bin/fedora-setup-keyboard https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=476028
- setroubleshoot lazy import https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=476662
- setroubleshoot lazy rpm usage https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=476663
- auditd cannot be started via upstart https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=476798
Note: all of the following release notes are subject to change.
To reduce boot time, the setroubleshoot and rpcbind daemon were made leaner to not consume too much disk I/O and CPU time. Core services are now started in parallel via upstart. sreadahead is now used to read ahead all disk blocks needed to boot the machine.
Comments and Discussion