Boot faster than the F10 Features/30SecondStartup. Make Fedora boot and shut down faster. The goal is to be at the login screen in 20 seconds and be as fast as possible after the login (gnome-session).
- Name: HaraldHoyer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Targeted release: Fedora 11
- Last updated: (Jan 28 2009)
- Percentage of completion: 10%
Identify bloated tasks in the boot process and make them faster and use less disk I/O.
See: Fedora 10 top 5 disk usage tasks http://www.harald-hoyer.de/personal/blog/fedora-10-disk-io
See, if sreadahead can be used (needs kernel patch), and if Upstart can start core services in parallel.
Benefit to Fedora
A faster boot makes for happy users.
Possibly involves all packages that are involved in the boot sequence, udev, module-init-tools, kernel, nash, upstart, readahead, setroubleshoot, gdm.
- install bootchart
- modify /sbin/bootchartd to exit on "firefox" not "gdm kdm" etc. and sleep 10-20 seconds after that
- reboot, login, start firefox, close firefox
- measure time until closing of firefox
See detailed instructions and test results at QA/Test Days/2009-02-19.
Turn on computer, wait 20 seconds, select user on login screen.
- kernel for sreadahead
- gdm login infrastrucure
- no regression in other parts of the system
This is an incremental feature. If we don't quite get down to 20 seconds, too bad, we can just take whatever improvements we have.
- Fedora 10 top 5 disk usage tasks
- Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis
- sreadahead review
- microcode_ctl busy polling
- re implement /usr/bin/fedora-setup-keyboard in C to speed up boot
- only call fedora-setup-keyboard for keyboards (fixed)
- setroubleshoot lazy import (fixed)
- setroubleshoot lazy rpm usage (fixed)
- auditd cannot be started via Upstart (fixed)
- microcode_ctl ships a pointless init script
- fuse has an unnecessary init script (fixed)
- use dbus service-activation to start the kerneloops daemon
- disturbing hacks to start nfs-utils services on demand (not entirely serious)
- (RFC, PATCH) start cups on demand, using xinetd
- start the bluetooth service via udev
- var/run/gdm/auth-for* directories not removed.... slows boot
Note: all of the following release notes are subject to change.
To reduce boot time, the setroubleshoot daemon and several small bottlenecks were removed.
Comments and Discussion