The tool to help non-power users with bug reporting, making it as easy as a few mouse clicks.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Targeted release: Releases/11
- Last updated: 2009-1-20
- Percentage of completion: 10%
This feature should help users to detect defects in applications written and to create a bug report with all informations needed by maintainer to fix it. It's heavilly pluginable so, it can be used for any language and bug reporting system (trac, BZ, ...)
Benefit to Fedora
Ease of bug reporting and quick response from maintainers based on info from CrashCatcher should make Fedora more stable and thus more attractive for users.
what has to be done:
- pluginable architecture
- daemon for detecting crashes
- authentication system
- system detecting if binary belongs to our package (PackageKit support)
- add-ons for languages
- plugins for reporters, databases of crashes, specific applications
- GUI and TUI
It shouldn't affect any part of Fedora, it's desing allows to easilly disable or remove this application completelly.
How To Test
- Install CrashCatcher with C/C++ language plugin.
- Run some app. This app has to be written in C or C++.
- kill -s SIGSEGV <pid of app>
- See if CrashCatcher detects it.
None necessary, revert to previous release behaviour :)
FIXME: please draft a release note for your feature poelcat 17:41, 21 January 2009 (UTC)
Comments and Discussion