Banshee as default mediaplayer
Using Banshee as our default mediaplayer and cd importing application
- Name: David Nielsen
- email: dnielsen at fedoraproject dot org
- Targeted release: Fedora 11
- Last updated: 2009-02-22
- Percentage of completion: 80%
Providing our users with a better default media player experience along with new desirable features, a more visually pleasing interface and set of effects as well as an actively maintained codebase with a large active community attached to it.
Benefit to Fedora
- Automatically migrates existing Rhythmbox databases meaning the user can keep his ratings, podcasts, songs, etc.
- Nice visual effects
- Provides true syncronization for portable players along with a wide range of supported pieces of hardware
- Active development, along with a feature roadmap and good bughandling
- History of stability
- Integrates cd importing and the mediaplayer
- Provides video library functionality
- No Jamedo or Magnatune integration
- Adds size to the CD image
All required packages are in Fedora and are actively maintained, upstream is active and has a good track record for handling bugs. The only action on our part is changing our default to Banshee.
How To Test
- Need testing import of existing Rhythmbox database to ensure migration
- For upgrades no change should be visible, rhythmbox and sound-juicer will be retained
- For new installs we will provide Banshee and all the nice functionality
None, though it obsoletes the draft Features/RhythmboxDefaultRipper
- None necessary, revert to previous release behaviour.
- All relevant documentation along with screenshots can be found on the project website: http://banshee-project.org/
- Fedora now ships with the Banshee mediaplayer, which we hope you will find provides you with a superior media experience. More information is available on http://banshee-project.org/.
Comments and Discussion
- Rhythmbox upstream have no further plans to develop Rhythmbox: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/rhythmbox-devel/2009-February/msg00023.html. It should thus be seriously considered that we switch to an alternative that can be counted on to have continued development and an active community around it. Banshee provides such an alternative.