Management and handling of printers has been improved in many places.
- Name: Tim Waugh, Marek Kasik
- Targeted release: Fedora10
- Last updated: 2008-07-24
- Percentage of completion: 100%
The system-config-printer UI has been overhauled to look friendlier and more in line with modern desktop applications. system-config-printer no longer needs to be run as root. [ Insert screenshots here ].
The GTK+ print dialog gives more feedback about the status of printers, e.g. printers which are out of paper show a little warning emblem on their icon. Paused printers also show an emblem, and printers which are rejecting jobs are grayed out. [ Insert screenshots here ].
Benefit to Fedora
Printing has traditionally been one of the more troublesome areas of the free desktop. Small improvements like these make the printing experience better for users.
Improvements to printer management have been implemented in system-config-printer. Improvements to the printing experience have been implemented in the print dialog in GTK+.
- Open up system-config-printer as regular user. Notice no root password is asked. Verify that s-c-p asks for the password when necessary (TODO: more detail needed here)
- Use an application that uses the gtk print dialog, like evince, and open
the print dialog.
See the screenshots above (if there were any).
Not needed. These are incremental improvements that have already landed in rawhide.
None right now, besides the screenshots above (if there were any).