- 1 Allow "Windows-style" copy & paste that just works! (By default.)
- 1.1 Summary
- 1.2 Owner
- 1.3 Current status
- 1.4 Detailed Description
- 1.5 Benefit to Fedora
- 1.6 Scope
- 1.7 Test Plan
- 1.8 User Experience
- 1.9 Dependencies
- 1.10 Contingency Plan
- 1.11 Documentation
- 1.12 Release Notes
Allow "Windows-style" copy & paste that just works! (By default.)
Add Parcellite to the default installation and session for Fedora, using the new daemon mode option ( 'parcellite --daemon' ).
- Name: NateMartin
- Targeted release: Fedora 11
- Last updated: 2008-08-28
- Percentage of completion: 0%
Taken from Parcellite About page
Parcellite is a lightweight GTK+ clipboard manager written in C, designed to be small, simple and fast. It sits in your tray and maintains a history of clipboard entries.
- Keeps a clipboard history.
- Various view options to display items the way you like it.
- Daemon mode; guard your clipboard contents when you close applications.
- Global hotkeys to display your items quickly.
- Perform custom commands using clipboard contents.
The Daemon Mode
Runs completely in the background and transparent to the end user. When an application is closed, the contents of the clipboard (if copied from the just-closed window) are generally lost. This is a source of frustration for many users who have just switched from Windows to Linux. The daemon mode option of Parcellite allows for pasting said contents into another application after the first application is closed. This is the behavior that many Windows users have come to expect. The result can be achieved without adding extra visible options or icons commonly associated with full-featured clipboards. There is no need for added complexity or point-and-click interaction – just press Ctrl-V (as opposed to some program-specific combination which the typical user would not know about).
Benefit to Fedora
- Reduces chance for losing work or information.
- Lessons barrier to Linux adoption.
- Scores user-friendliness points.
- Makes Fedora more attractive compared with other distributions.
- Requires updating the default session to include 'parcellite -d.'
- Requires waiting for the next stable release of Parcellite (0.9). (Currently in SVN.)
- Requires some method for notifying users who prefer to use another clipboard manager (or including self-deactivation).
- Quality Assurance – make sure it works for "everyone."
- Open Application-A
- Select text
- Press Ctrl-C
- Close Application-A
- Open Application-B
- Press Ctrl-V
- "Hey! It works!"
- Parcellite 0.9 or greater (Currently in SVN)
- Hold off implementation