Allow "Windows-style" copy & paste that just works! (By default.)
Add Parcellite to the default (non-upgrade) installation and session for Fedora, using the new daemon mode option ( 'parcellite --daemon' ).
- Name: Nate Martin
- email: NatePMartin@Gmail.com
- Targeted release: Fedora 13
- Last updated: 2009-11-22
- Percentage of completion: 0%
Taken from Parcellite About page
Parcellite is a lightweight GTK+ clipboard manager. This is a stripped down, basic-features-only clipboard manager with a small memory footprint for those who like simplicity.
- Keeps a clipboard history.
- Various view options to display items the way you like it.
- Daemon mode; guard your clipboard contents when you close applications.
- Global hotkeys to display your items quickly.
- Perform custom commands using clipboard contents.
The Daemon Mode
Runs completely in the background and is transparent to the end-user. When an application is closed (in a current default installation of Fedora), the contents of the clipboard (if copied from the just-closed window) are generally lost. This is a source of frustration for many users – especially those who are in transition from Windows to Linux. The daemon mode option of Parcellite allows the user to paste previously-copied text into another application after the first application (the one from which the text originated) is closed. This is the behavior that many Windows users have come to expect. The result can be achieved without adding unnecessarily to user-visible configuration or interface clutter commonly associated with full-featured clipboards. There is no need for added complexity, point-and-click interaction, or clipboard-specific key combinations – the user need only press the familiar 'Ctrl-V' sequence.
Benefit to Fedora
- Reduces chance for losing work or information.
- Lessons barrier to Linux adoption.
- Scores user-friendliness points.
- Makes Fedora more attractive compared with other distributions.
- Requires including Parcellite in the default installation (non-upgrade).
- Requires adding Parcellite to the default (non-upgrade) session ( 'parcellite --daemon' ).
How To Test
- Open Firefox
- Select the URL from the location bar, then copy via 'Ctrl-C'
- Close Firefox
- Open gedit
- Paste into the text content area via 'Ctrl-V'
This sequence will not work in the current default installation of Fedora, but will work if Parcellite is running in daemon mode.
- Open Application-A
- Select text, then press 'Ctrl-C'
- Close Application-A
- Open Application-B
- Press 'Ctrl-V'
- "Hey! It works!"
- Parcellite and all dependencies are already available in the Fedora repositories.
- Hold off on implementation – do not add to default (non-upgrade) installation and session.
- Copy & paste action now "just works!" in a default installation of Fedora. Clipboard contents will no longer be lost when an application is closed.