DNF, a new Package Manager
- Name: Aleš Kozumplík
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Fedora 18
- Last updated: 2012-05-03
- Percentage of completion: 5%
Comparing to zif
People are asking why we didn't choose to adopt zif instead of fixing yum. The reasons are:
- dnf looks for a middle ground between a sane API and some backwards compatibility.
- we ultimately want unified resolver across the stack and dnf and hawkey is the first step towards that.
- using libsolv allows us to get closer to what SUSE uses. So it makes the RPM world easier to deal with.
- Libsolv is a well tested and proven code base, currently the most sophisticated and optimized dependency solving implementation.