Dracut is a replacement for nash/mkinitrd.
- Name: Harald Hoyer
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Fedora 12
- Last updated: 2009-08-19
- Percentage of completion: 100%
- normal disk with md/dm raid, LVM, crypto
- FCoE (postponed to post F12)
- IPv6 (postponed to post F12)
- multipath (postponed to post F12)
Dracut is a generic, modular initramfs generation tool that can be used across various distributions.
See also: Dracut
Benefit to Fedora
Replace nash/mkinitrd with a tool, that is maintained by a cross distribution community.
All functionality of nash/mkinitrd has to be implemented and tested in dracut.
How To Test
Switching root partitions should be more flexible.
Fallback to mkinitrd.
- Sourceforge Project http://sourceforge.net/projects/dracut/
- git git://dracut.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/dracut
- Trac Instance: http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/dracut/
- Mailing List: email@example.com
LWN article: http://lwn.net/Articles/317793/
- mkinitrd/nash has been replaced by dracut, which uses standard tools and scripts to boot from the root partition.