Fedora 17 Eclipse Juno Update
Update Fedora's Eclipse stack to Juno releases.
- Targeted release: Fedora 17
- Last updated: 2012-01-11
- Percentage of completion: 10%
Many Eclipse projects release annually in June. The 2012 version of this simultaneous release is known as "Juno" and is made up of 67 projects. The foundation of these projects is the Eclipse project itself, producing the Eclipse SDK which contains the Eclipse Platform, the Eclipse Java Development Tools (JDT), and the Eclipse Plugin Development Environment (PDE).
This Fedora feature encompasses the updating of the Eclipse packages in Fedora to be their Juno versions. Note that not all eclipse-* packages in Fedora are hosted at eclipse.org which coordinates the simultaneous release so this feature does not include them (notable examples include PyDev which is shipped in Fedora as eclipse-pydev).
Benefit to Fedora
The latest and greatest versions of Eclipse packages will be available to Fedora users.
Update dependencies (see below), many eclipse-* packages, and test upgrade experience from existing Indigo (2011 simultaneous release name) versions. The packages (SRPM names) that will be updated include:
How To Test
- x86 or x86_64 hardware is preferred for testing as the OpenJDK JIT (just in time compiler) is present there
- Installing the packages listed above in the "Scope" section should be installed
- Eclipse should start from the GNOME menu under Programming or from the command line
- The Eclipse Help system should display and allow clicking around the contents (Help menu -> Help Contents)
- Help -> About should show 3.8 somewhere as the version
- Functionality of plugins should be verified but this is plugin-specific
- eclipse-* should upgrade cleanly from their Indigo versions
Expected to remain largely the same.
Eclipse Juno will be dependent on felix-gogo*. Jetty will be upgraded to version 8. These dependencies are almost complete but updates are not yet in rawhide. There are few packages that depend on the Eclipse stack outside of eclipse-*.
revert to previous release behaviour
New and Noteworthies
Comments and Discussion