Make it easier for the deployment of federated SIP and XMPP (Jabber) networks, functioning much like federated SMTP email.
- Name: Daniel Pocock
- Email: email@example.com
- Targeted release: Fedora 19
- Last updated: 2013-01-28
- Percentage of completion: 80%
Many VoIP installations still operate on a standalone basis, often with a single SIP proxy or soft PBX trunking all calls to an external provider. Ideally, VoIP should be fully federated, with no central provider other than perhaps the DNS. This feature aims to bring that vision closer to reality, by making it easier to start a SIP proxy in federated mode, using TLS by default for security/identity of external peers and benefiting from ENUM for legacy phone numbers.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora users can call each other and users of other platforms like Debian and Ubuntu, just using a user@domain address with the same convenience as email.
Packaging reSIProcate, which introduces the following:
- repro SIP proxy (with federated TLS support)
- reTurnServer, a TURN server for easy NAT traversal (supports both SIP and XMPP/Jabber users)
How To Test
Using the following SIP user agents:
- Empathy (with the telepathy-rakia module), the default softphone in the Gnome desktop
- Jitsi, the most popular and most advanced cross-platform
- Lumicall, the secure mobile SIP client for Android (based on Sipdroid)
and testing against various open SIP networks (please add some more):
- Calling to/from users of Lumicall on Android using sip:firstname.lastname@example.org addresses
Sysadmins can quickly install a SIP proxy and TURN server and get federated using the instructions in the Federated VoIP quick start howto guide
These are new packages that won't impact existing packages. Some other new packages in the future may choose to use reSIProcate as their SIP stack, given it is the most advanced and liberally licensed SIP stack implementation.
These are new packages and have no impact on unrelated packages or the system as a whole if they are not ready on time.
- http://packages.debian.org/sid/repro (also in Debian and Ubuntu)
- http://wiki.debian.org/UnifiedCommunications (a similar initiative is ongoing within Debian)
- Better support for truly federated VoIP, with the reSIProcate (repro) SIP proxy and reTurnServer, an ICE/STUN/TURN server for both SIP and XMPP (Jabber) networks