Support Moblin within Fedora
Add support to Fedora for the Moblin NetBook/NetTop/MID desktop environment.
- Name: PeterRobinson
- Targeted release: Fedora 12
- Last updated: 13 July 2009
- Percentage of completion: 15%
The Moblin Architecture is designed to support multiple platforms and usage models ranging from Netbooks, NetTops to Mobile Internet Devices (MID), to various embedded usage models, such as the In Vehicle Infotainment systems. The central piece of the architecture is the common layer called "Moblin Core". Moblin Core is built on the GNOME Mobile platform, extending and enriching it with new technologies like Clutter, GUPnP. The Moblin Core is core desktop environment that sits of top of Fedora, and above the Moblin Core are the specific user interface and user interaction model for the target device.
Benefit to Fedora
The current release of Fedora GUI environments aren't optimised for the small screen environments of NetBook and MID devices. This will allow for a desktop environment that is optimised for these newer small, cheap devices that are becoming popular.
There are a number of stages in the scope of this feature:
- Submit all core packages to Fedora for review and build
- Test the new desktop environment to ensure it works and integrates properly with underlying technologies like NetworkManager, clutter, gupnp, gstreamer etc as well as works with some of the target devices
- Add anaconda install options so it can be installed onto devices
- Produce a LiveCD and Fedora spin similar to the exisiting GNOME and KDE spins
- If time and other issues (upstream patches required etc) permit add some of the moblin specific applications as well to improve the overall moblin experience. Some of these include email and web browser applications.
- Build and test individual packages
- Build an test a LiveCD for testing, including test days where appropriate for both hardware and moblin desktop environment support
- Work with Fedora QA to ensure that we have sufficient coverage
- Users of the Fedora Moblin Spin would have a much better user experience on their NetBook, NetTop and other small devices.
- Do not support Moblin in Fedora -- no change from F11. The packages will still be available so the features might be present for testing but there's no supported Fedora Moblin Spin for download.
Support for the Moblin desktop environment for NetBook/NetTop/MID devices has been added to Fedora