First-Class Cloud Images
Cloud images for EC2 and for generic use (download and use in any cloud environment, like OpenStack, CloudStack, or Eucalyptus) will be produced as part of the Alpha, Beta, and Final compose process, and distributed on the mirror network. We'll also have automatic nightly builds of Rawhide and of the development version.
- Name: Matthew Miller
- Email: mattdm at fedoraproject dot org
- Targeted release: Fedora 19
- Last updated: January 19, 2013
- Percentage of completion: 0%
- Koji updated to support image creation under visualization using Factory/Oz
- Scratch images built weekly
- "Blessed" built for Alpha, Beta, and Final
- As-similar-as-possible images uploaded to EC2 (and ideally Amazon Marketplace)
Benefit to Fedora
- Cloud images more easily available to users
- Cloud images available for better testing
- Constant building of images provides better platform for testing in general
Updates to Koji are a fairly major infrastructure change. We'll need bare-metal builders (or nested virt). ImageFactory/Oz will grow the ability to take kickstarts in addition to xml templates. Creating LiveCDs with the same system will also require some changes to ImageFactory/Oz.
Release engineering will produce images weekly (in an automated way). These will need to be easily discoverable (from the Cloud SIG web page, for example).
Will also need procedure for producing, testing, and blessing the official images for test and final releases. These will be released using the current Fedora mirroring system, alongside the install images.
Approximate dates to be added shortly.
- Out-of-Koji test implementation
- Code landed in Koji
- Builders updated
- Test-builds are functional
- Scripting for automatic weeklies
- Weeklies hitting alt
- Actual builds for alpha, beta, final on the mirrors
How To Test
- Do the images exist?
- In EC2
- Weekly in wherever those will go
- On the mirrors for Alpha, Beta, and Final
- in qcow2
- in raw.tar.xz
- Do the downloadable images boot in
- Installed image should appear similar to one installed by Anaconda
Official cloud images downloadable from mirror system.
None outside those identified in the scope.
Livemedia-creator could be used instead of Oz.
Failing that, continue to use appliance-creator for EC2 images and to generate images for download outside of official channels. Feel sad.
Possibly a small readme file should go alongside the images. Primary documentation on Cloud SIG web page.