Font Configuration Tool
This feature provides a tool for customizing fonts per language on desktops using fontconfig. The user requirements of desktop fonts are diverse, no single configuration can satisfy all user requirements.
- Targeted release: Fedora 17
- Last updated: 2012-01-19
- Percentage of completion: 40%
The fonts-tweak-tool GUI provides users a way to specific their preferred font families for different languages.
User can select preferred fonts for sans/serif/monospace/fantasy/cursive for any particular languages they choose, and user fontconfig rules will be generated to override fonts only for those languages.
Benefit to Fedora
This will make the Fedora desktop more convenient to use. Many users want to customize the desktop fonts, but lack the knowledge to do so, they will copy others' ~/.fonts.conf to his own home directory. With this tools, the users can customize fonts on their need, without need to learn how to write fontconfig conf files.
- Create the UI, including scrollwindow, combobox and button. (done)
- Create a pop-up window to display all the languages and let user choose the language. (done)
- Display fonts list in combobox. (done)
- Generate fonts configuration file base on chosen language and fonts using libeasyfc.
- Display sans/serif/monospace/fantasy/cursive fonts list for chosen language.
- Removal of a language from language list.
How To Test
- Install fonts-tweak-tool and libeasyfc
- Try to set prefer fonts by using fonts-tweak-tool
- Check the $HOME/.config/i18n for fonts setting
- With fonts-tweak-tool, user can easily set their prefer fonts for sans/serif/monospace/fantasy/cursive
libeasyfc is already in Fedora.
fonts-tweak-tool with libeasyfc backend provides a more easy way to customize fonts for user's desktop.