Font Configuration Tool
This feature provides a tool for customizing fonts per language on desktops using fontconfig. The user requirements of desktop fonts are diverse, no single configuration can satisfy all user requirements.
- Targeted release: Fedora 17
- Last updated: 2012-02-06
- Percentage of completion: 90%
The fonts-tweak-tool GUI provides users a way to specific their preferred font families for different languages.
User can select preferred fonts for sans/serif/monospace/fantasy/cursive for any particular languages they choose, and user fontconfig rules will be generated to override fonts only for those languages.
Benefit to Fedora
This will make the Fedora desktop more convenient to use for international users. Many users want to customize the fonts for their own languages, but currently this requires knowledge of fontconfig font configuration which is also error prone. With this tool, the users can customize fonts for their local needs, without needing to learn or understand the details of fontconfig conf files.
- Create the UI, including scrollwindow, combobox and button. (done)
- Create a pop-up window to display all the languages and let user choose the language. (done)
- Display fonts list in combobox. (done)
- Generate fonts configuration file base on chosen language and fonts using libeasyfc. (done)
- Display sans/serif/monospace/fantasy/cursive fonts list for chosen language. (done)
- Removal of a language from language list. (done)
- Submit package for inclusion in Fedora. (commit and wait for review)
- Testing and bugfixes.
How To Test
- yum install fonts-tweak-tool
- Run fonts-tweak-tool
- Try to set some preferred fonts for a particular language
- Check the generated font configuration in $HOME/.fonts.conf.d/
- Test rendering of text for that language/locale in gedit, etc.
Users will be able to easily set their preferred fonts for their own language if they don't like the Fedora defaults.
libeasyfc is already in Fedora.
Fonts-tweak-tool using the libeasyfc backend provides an easy way to customize desktop fonts for one's own language.