Update GNOME to the latest upstream release
- Name: Matthias Clasen
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Fedora 17
- Last updated: 2011-12-13
- Percentage of completion: 25
Most GNOME modules have been updated to 3.3.2 versions in rawhide.
GNOME 3.4 refines the GNOME 3 user experience in a number of areas, from improved search in the shell overview, to theme improvements, to application menus. In the control-center, the network panel will see major work, and Wacom tablet support will be improved. A new application, gnome-boxes, will provide easy access to VMs.
For a list of features that are being worked on for GNOME 3.4, see https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointThree/Features
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora stays in sync with upstream.
- Keep existing GNOME packages updated
- Package newly independent submodules of gnome-utils
- Package new applications and new dependencies of existing GNOME packages
- libwacom (control-center)
- gnome-boxes (new application)
- libvirt-glib (gnome-boxes)
- libosinfo (gnome-boxes)
- gcr (gnome-keyring)
How To Test
Generic 'desktop testing' is always appropriate for a major new desktop version.
Specific testing for new features: TBD
Overall experience should be largely unchanged from F16. Noticeable changes in the details:
- Applications can have an app menu containing more than just 'Quit'. We expect at least some of the new apps (gnome-documents, gnome-contacts, gnome-boxes) to make use of this
- Maximized windows can gain more screen real estate by hiding their title bar. We expect some of the new apps to use this option
- Unfocused windows will have an 'attenuated' appearance
- Features/Gnome_shell_software_rendering will be nice to have to get the GNOME 3 user experience on more platforms, but not a hard requirement
- If GNOME 3.4 does not happen in time for Fedora 17, ship a release candidate like 3.3.92
- Upstream will also look at dropping individual features if they are not ready in time
- GNOME 3.4 planned features []
- GNOME 3.4 schedule []
- GNOME 3.4 release notes [] (will appear at a later point)
- Fedora 17 includes the latest version of the GNOME desktop, 3.4. For more information about what is new in GNOME, see the Gnome 3.4 [notes].