Update GNOME to the latest upstream release
- Name: Matthias Clasen
- Email: email@example.com
- Targeted release: Fedora 18
- Last updated: 2012-08-20
- Percentage of completion: 80%
GNOME 3.5.5 is being built in rawhide. See http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointFive/Features for the status of individual GNOME 3.6 features. In short:
- Accessibility is on by default (for gtk3 applications)
- gnome-online-accounts has gained support for SkyDrive and Exchange
- Initial support for input sources (input methods and keyboard layouts) has landed
- The magnifier can now apply brightness and contrast modifications (no UI for setting this up yet)
- The printer panel supports ppd selection and printer options now
- The user panel can set up Enterprise accounts (ie AD)
- The new screen lock and login screen is in place
The GNOME 3.5.90 release will be built for F18 between August 20 and 22 and will include the remaining features:
- Port of pango to harfbuzz
- Message tray redesign
- Better kerberos support
GNOME 3.6 continues to complete the GNOME 3 user experience in a number of areas. The lock screen is replaced by a shell-style lock. Online accounts gains support for SkyDrive and Exchange. Application menus are used much more widely. Input methods and keyboard layouts are supported as 'Input Sources'.
For detailed descriptions and designs of the features that are being worked on for GNOME 3.6, see the feature list.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora stays in sync with upstream.
- Keep existing GNOME packages updated
- Package new applications and new dependencies of existing GNOME packages:
How To Test
Generic 'desktop testing' is always appropriate for a major new desktop version.
Specific testing for new features: TBD
Overall desktop experience should be largely unchanged from F17. Noticeable changes in the details:
- A new shell-style lock screen
- Widespread use of application menus
- A new UI for totem
- Input methods appear in the control-center and gnome-shell
- First-time setup is handled by Features/InitialExperience
- If GNOME 3.6 does not happen in time for Fedora 18, ship a release candidate like 3.5.91
- Upstream will also look at dropping individual features if they are not ready in time
- GNOME 3.6 planned features
- GNOME 3.6 schedule
- GNOME 3.6 release notes (will appear at a later point)
- Fedora 18 includes the latest version of the GNOME desktop, 3.6. For more information about what is new in this GNOME release, see the release notes.