Update GNOME to the latest upstream release
- Name: Matthias Clasen
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Fedora 19
- Last updated: 2013-01-16
- Percentage of completion: 30%
GNOME 3.7.4 is in rawhide.
GNOME 3.8 continues development along the lines of 3.6:
- Building out the central features of GNOME 3: search, notifications, privacy, sharing
- Support for more online accounts
- Better accessibility
- New applications
For detailed descriptions and designs of the features that are being worked on for GNOME 3.8, see the feature list.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora stays in sync with upstream.
- Keep existing GNOME packages updated
- Follow upstream module changes
- gcalctool -> gnome-calculator 896449
- gnome-games -> many little game modules
- Package new applications and new dependencies of existing GNOME packages
How To Test
Generic 'desktop testing' is always appropriate for a major new desktop version.
Specific testing for new features: TBD
Overall desktop experience should be largely unchanged from F18. Noticeable changes in the details:
- Redesigned search results display in the overview
- New settings panels for search and notifications
- Support for OwnCloud in online-accounts
- If GNOME 3.8 does not happen in time for Fedora 19, ship a release candidate like 3.7.91
- Upstream will also look at dropping individual features if they are not ready in time
Fedora 19 includes the latest version of the GNOME desktop, 3.8. For more information about what is new in this GNOME release, see the release notes.