Update Moblin to 2.2 in Fedora
Update Moblin support in Fedora to Moblin 2.2 Netbook Environment.
- Name: PeterRobinson
Download and Installation
For rawhide / F-13 testing of Moblin you can do 'yum install moblin-desktop'
Please provide feeback to fedora-test or fedora-devel mailing lists and report specific bugs against the components in RHBZ.
- Targeted release: Fedora 13
- Last updated: 2010-03-22
- Percentage of completion: 90%
- Awaiting the final outcome from the Moblin merger into Meego. Meego 1.0 Netbook will be what the Moblin 2.2 release was going to be. There will be some package renames but no major changes. The plan is to get this complete as soon as the details are available this week (Week beginning March 23rd).
The Moblin Architecture is designed to support multiple platforms and usage models ranging from Netbooks and NetTops to Mobile Internet Devices (MID) and various embedded usage models, such as In Vehicle Infotainment systems. The central piece of the architecture is the common layer called "Moblin Core". Moblin Core is built on the GNOME Mobile platform, extending and enriching it with new technologies like Clutter, GUPnP and mojito. The Moblin Core is the core desktop environment that sits of top of Fedora, and above the Moblin Core are the specific user interface and user interaction model for the target device(s).
Benefit to Fedora
Expand the support of Moblin in Fedora for NetBook users. The Moblin 2.1 and 2.2 releases also have expanded support for resolutions other than 1024x600 allowing better support for NetTop devices.
There are a number of stages in the scope for this feature. For Fedora 13 the aim is to have the Moblin 2.2 environment for Netbook/Nettop devices in Fedora including an official Spin (which will be submitted to the Spin SIG separately).
The main steps for Fedora 13 are:
- Update current packages to Moblin 2.2
- Submit all new packages for review
- Ship the Moblin App Install for easy installation of Fedora packages
- Produce a number of test LiveCD images for ongoing testing during core test releases
Extra steps hoping to be achieved but are dependant on upstream inclusion:
- Moblin browser.
- Build and test individual packages
- Test 'yum groupinstall moblin-desktop' to ensure we get a working Moblin Core desktop
- Testing of the core Moblin Desktop environment
- Testing of Moblin application functionality.
- Users of the Fedora Moblin 2.2 Spin would have a much better user experience on their NetBook, NetTop and other small devices.
- Fall back to shipping the Moblin 2.1 release or worst case the current release of Moblin that's in Fedora 12 (somewhere in between Moblin 2.0 and 2.1) will continue to be supported
Moblin 2.2 for Netbooks is available in Fedora 13