Re-base to the NetBeans 6.8.
- Name: Victor G. Vasilyev
- email: email@example.com
- Targeted release: Fedora 13
- Last updated: 2010-02-09
- Percentage of completion: 100%, but some features of the IDE won't work properly due to JRuby's packages.
Latest successful Koji builds:
- netbeans-6.8-2.fc13 - dependecies on JRuby's packages are removed. See Requests below.
Many thanks to Mohammed Morsi at redhat.com who has effort to reanimate JRuby on Fedora, and who is a reviewer for all requests listed below.
- Bug 560170 - Review Request: jcodings - Java-based codings helper classes for Joni and JRuby. Successful koji build: taskID=1957311. Review is needed, because the package was orphaned more than three months. Review in progress.
- Bug 560169 - Review Request: bytelist - A java library for lists of bytes. No koji build yet as bytelist depends on jcodings. Review is needed, because the package was orphaned more than three months. Review in progress.
- Bug 560172 - Review Request: jvyamlb - YAML processor for JRuby. No koji build yet as bytelist depends on both jcodings and bytelist. Review is needed, because the package was orphaned more than three months. Review in progress.
NetBeans IDE 6.8 is a significant update of NetBeans IDE 6.7.1.
NetBeans IDE 6.8 is the first IDE to offer complete support for the entire Java EE 6 spec with improved support for JSF 2.0/Facelets, Java Persistence 2.0, EJB 3.1 including using EJBs in web applications, RESTful web services, and GlassFish v3. We also recommend it for developing with the latest JavaFX SDK 1.2.1, and for creating PHP web applications with the new PHP 5.3 release or with the Symfony Framework.
For more about this release, see:
Benefit to Fedora
Latest features of the NetBeans will be available to developers on the Fedora platform.
- Update the
packages up to version 6.8.
- Update the
package up to version 1.0.4. See Bug 558863.
- Update the
- Update the
package up to version 6.8
An issue that is filed to track activities against this feature is the Bug 541638 - RFE: Upgrade the NetBeans to version 6.8.
How To Test
All the NetBeans components are shipped for Fedora after full in-house test cycle. Java platform on Fedora has passed tests of the Java Compatibility Kit. Therefore, there are minimal risks that behavior of the NetBeans will be changed if the components are correctly installed. Hence, additionally required tests should be focused on the following aspects:
- Meeting the NetBeans packages with common requirements for the Fedora packages.
- Installation of the NetBeans packages and all related packages on a target version of the Fedora platform.
- Launching the NetBeans IDE via both Graphical User Interface (GUI) and Command Line Interface (CLI)
- Installation of additional NetBeans modules via an ad hoc Update Center that is established by NetBeans for its Fedora distribution.
The NetBeans IDE is oriented on wide audience of developers from beginners up to experts. Each of them can find useful set of the development tools that are embedded in the IDE or can be integrated with. The NetBeans IDE is the modular system and it can be configured according to user needs.
The NetBeans Platform provides a generic framework for robust and extensible Java applications with the modular architecture and the GUI based on the Swing. All tools required for development of application are included in the NetBeans IDE.
See Dependency tree in Bugzilla.
None necessary. Both the NetBeans IDE and the NetBeans Platform extend a stack of the Java applications on the Fedora platform.
The NetBeans is shipped with the on-line documentation in forms of JavaDoc, JavaHelp, HTML and textual files. Prepared packages provide all this documentation.
See the section Detailed Description for info about essential changes in the NetBeans 6.8 release.