To provide the latest PHP stack.
- Name: Remi Collet
- Email: remi AT SPAMFREE fedoraproject DOT org
- Targeted release: Fedora 19
- Last updated: Dec 12
- Percentage of completion: 5%
No change in rawhide planed before upstream fetaure freeze.
Work in progress done in external remi repository 
Upstream roadmap (see TODO)
- PHP 5.5.0alpha1 is released (Nov 22th)
- PHP 5.5.0alpha2 is released (Dec 18th)
- PHP 5.5.0beta is planed for January (feature freeze)
Finale version (Q1/2013) should be available before fedora 19 (Q2/2013).
Planed packaging changes
Build more extensions shared for flexibility
- in php-common: bz2, calendar, ctype, exif, ftp, gettext, iconv, sockets and tokenizer
- moved in php-gmp: gmp
- moved in php-process: shmop
- moved in php-xml: xml and simplexml
Activate dtrace/systemtap <sys/sdt.h> markers
Benefit to Fedora
Provides the latest PHP version.
- Mass rebuild of all packages which requires php ABI, some will requires update or patch
- Test of web applications
How To Test
- test PHP web applications available in the repository
Web developper will get the latest upstream PHP version
From repoquery --whatrequires 'php(zend-abi)'
Work in a dedicated build target. Merge only when all is ok.
There is some risk that finale version not released at f19 time, but in case, we'll ship a RC.
Compatibility with previous PHP 5.4 is rather good.
- upstream NEWS
- upstream UPGRADING for web applications developer
- upstream UPGRADING.INTERNALS for extension developer
Fedora 19 includes version 5.5.0 of PHP. This includes a number of significant new features, including support for Generators as well as a number of performance enhancements. For complete details see Migrating from PHP 5.4.x to PHP 5.5.x.
Comments and Discussion
For discussion, please join the php devel ML