Update the system Python in Fedora to 2.6
- Name: Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams
- Targeted release: Fedora 11
- Last updated: 2009-02-25
- Percentage of completion: 95%
Python 2.6 was released on October 1, 2008, too close to the release of Fedora 10 to be included in it.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora is about pushing the boundaries, and having Python 2.6 as a transitional release on the path to Python 3000 is no exception.
Python is pervasive in Fedora. Everything from yum to system-config-* to anaconda to pungi is written in Python.
How To Test
- Users should not notice any difference, other than the availability of the 2.6 interpreter
- (list too large to include here; around 850 packages)
- There is none. This is do-or-die.
Python has been upgraded to 2.6. For a list of changes see http://www.python.org/doc/2.6/whatsnew/2.6.html .