Update the system Python 2 stack in Fedora from 2.6 to 2.7
- Name: Dave Malcolm
- Email: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Targeted release: Fedora 14
- Last updated: 2010-07-23
- Percentage of completion: 50%
Packages built into dist-f14-py27-rebuild; currently 202 failing rebuilds
Packages waiting on other packages
- kdebindings, pyactivemq need:
- python-execnet needs:
- python-py needs:
- subversion failing inside %check
- protobuf needs:
- subversion (see above)
- python-py needs:
- revelation needs gnome-python2-applet from:
- python-networkx needs:
- hgsvn needs:
- gget needs
- gnome-package-kit needs:
- PackageKit fails to build
- sympy needs:
- hamster-applet needs:
- many gnome-python2-* packages from gnome-python2-desktop. Specifically gnome-python2-bonobo which needs:
- sugar-tamtam needs:
- boost-python DONE
- build parameter changes
gobject-introspection's /usr/bin/g-ir-scanner appears to be incompatible with python 2.7, this leads to anything building a .gir file failing.
- Python 2.7 was released on 2010-07-03
This will require a rebuild of everything with
Requires: python(abi) = 2.6. See Mass_Rebuild_SOP for how we do a full rebuild of everything - hopefully we can adapt the scripts there to accomplish the rebuild needed for Python 2.7. See Features/Python_2.7/MassRebuild for notes on this specific rebuild.
Hopefully, little to no porting will be required.
Some notes on changes that may require porting are given on the upstream wiki here: http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.7.html#porting-to-python-2-7
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora aims to showcase the latest in free and open source software - we should have the most recent release of Python.
Python is pervasive in Fedora. Everything from yum to system-config-* to anaconda to pungi is written in Python.
How To Test
Interested testers do not need special hardware. If you have a favorite Python script, module, or application, please test it with Python 2.7 and verify that it still works as you expect.
My own test plan:
- Smoketest of the interpreter
- Run the upstream regression test suite
- Ensure that yum still works
- Ensure that anaconda still works
Users should not notice any difference, other than the availability of the 2.7 interpreter
The list is too large to include here.
repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps -s "python(abi) = 2.6" | sort -u
indicates approximately 1200 rpms
- There is none. This is do-or-die.
The system Python 2 stack has been upgraded to 2.7. For a list of changes see http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.7.html