Features/QXL Render Support
QXL Render Support
This feature adds support for the X Render Extension to the QXL paravirtualized device and to the Xorg QXL driver.
- Name: Ssp
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Fedora 17
- Last updated: Wed Sep 28
- Percentage of completion: 5%
The lack of hardware acceleration for the Render extension is the main source of performance problems when Fedora is used as a guest on a Fedora host.
Benefit to Fedora
This will make the Fedora experience better when it is used as a guest in a virtualized environment.
Several components are affected by this feature:
- The QXL device in Qemu must be extended to accept Render commands
- spice-server must be extended to marshall Render commands
- spice-client must be extended to draw Render commands
- The QXL X driver must be extended to generate Render commands.
How To Test
Good tests include running the cairo test suite against an X server running on the guest. Also the cairo performance test suite, the render-check program are useful.
Fedora virtualized guests should feel more responsive.
Render support will need to be accepted into Qemu.
None necessary, revert to previous release behavior.
- Support for Render acceleration in QXL device and driver