Update RPM to 4.10
Update RPM to 4.10 in Fedora 18.
- Name: PanuMatilainen
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Fedora 18
- Last updated: 2012-23-04
- Percentage of completion: 80%
- Rawhide currently on 4.10.0 beta1, final expected by end of May
- Most dependent packages have been rebuilt
The RPM development team would like to update Fedora RPM to a pre-release version of 4.10 as early as possible to leverage the wider testing that Fedora rawhide gets. A stable upstream version of the new RPM is expected to be released well in time before Fedora 18 alpha. This is more of a "time-based code outlet" release than one with many new fancy features.
Benefit to Fedora
The full change summary (draft) can be found at http://rpm.org/wiki/Releases/4.10.0, but some of the immediate benefits to Fedora are
- Performance improvements
- Automatic SELinux policy reload on policy changes
- Improved robustness: more thorough input validation, added error checking and handling etc.
- Many bugfixes all over the place
Packages directly linking to librpm need to be rebuilt due to soname change, but no other rebuilds are necessary as no new package-level incompatibilities have been introduced.
From upstream POV there are no big hurdles expected in reaching 4.10 stable from current situation: some loose ends to tie up and basic shakedown after a fairly large amount of internal changes.
How To Test
Rpm has it's own test-suite which gets executed during the package build. Beyond that, rpm gets quite thoroughly tested in the course of "everyday activities" such as system installation, upgrades and package building.
- The new RPM changes very little in the average "user experience":
- Somewhat faster operation
- Some annoying bugs have been fixed
- Dependencies are unchanged from rpm-4.9.x.
- Revert to rpm 4.9.x. As there are no database- or other package-level incompatibilities introduced in this version, reverting would be a simple matter of bumping epoch and rebuilding the packages linking to librpm.
Release note draft document can be found in http://rpm.org/wiki/Releases/4.10.0
No need for a release notes entry.