Update RPM to 4.9
Update RPM to 4.9 in Fedora 15.
- Name: PanuMatilainen
- Targeted release: Fedora 15
- Last updated: 2010-08-12
- Percentage of completion: 0%
The RPM development team would like to update Fedora RPM to a pre-release version of 4.9 as early as possible to leverage the wide testing that Fedora rawhide and beta releases get. A stable upstream version of the new RPM is expected be released well in for Fedora 15 alpha.
Benefit to Fedora
The full description can be found in http://rpm.org/wiki/Releases/4.9.0 (Draft)
The most visible improvements over previous versions:
- Pluggable & much more flexible dependency generator
- Further performance improvements
- Many bugfixes all over the place
- The new RPM changes very little in the average "user experience":
- Faster installs/upgrades
- Some annoying bugs have been fixed
- No new dependencies.
- Revert to 4.8. The packaging changes somewhat with 4.9, complicating downgrades. Also a manual 'rpm --rebuilddb' would be required after downgrades so this is a very last-resort option (although it would only affect rawhide users).
- Avoid depending on new 4.9 features until final acceptance is gained.
Release note draft document can be found in http://rpm.org/wiki/Releases/4.9.0
No need for release notes entry.