Rakudo Perl 6
- email: <firstname.lastname@example.org>, <email@example.com>
- Targeted release: Fedora 12
- Last updated: 2009-07-31
- Percentage of completion: 66%
- 2009-07-21: Parrot 1.4.0 "Mundo Cani" released
- 2009-07-22: Parrot 1.4 built for Fedora >= 10
- 2009-07-23: Rakudo 19 (July 2009) released, starting to work on the files
- 2009-07-27: Initial rakudo package
- 2009-07-29: Rakudo packaged
- 2009-07-31: minor tweaks during review
Perl 6 is a major revision to the Perl programming language, which introduces elements of many modern and historical languages. There are currently multiple implementation projects of Perl 6 underway, the most actively developed one is Rakudo, which is based on the Parrot virtual machine.
Benefit to Fedora
Providing Perl 6 support makes Fedora an attractive platform for developers. Rakudo will enable developers to write new applications or port existing ones. By offering Perl 6 at the current state Fedora once again proves it's foundations Features and First
- Package reviews
- Continuous updates each month
How To Test
- Test that rakudo builds on the parrot RPMs provided in Fedora.
- Use the test suite included in Rakudo to verify that it actually works:
make testwill run a suite of tests, designed to make sure that the Rakudo compiler is basically working and that it's capable of running a simple test harness.
make spectestwill import relevant portions of the official Perl 6 test suite from the Pugs repository and run all of the tests that are currently known to pass.
Rakudo will enable developers to write new applications or port existing ones to Perl 6. Although Perl 6 is still in development and no official release date has been set, the specification is feature complete and mature. Rakudo has released 19 stable releases so far. Both parrot and rakudo do one stable release each month and developers will get them easily without hassle on a regular schedule.
(Note that parrot is a build dependency and not required at runtime.)
Drop the rakudo package from Fedora 12.
- Wikipedia: Perl 6 and Rakudo Perl
- Official Perl 6 Documentation
- Perl 6 on the Perl Foundation Homepage
- Rakudo Homepage
- Rakudo Documentation
- Installation of Rakudo in Fedora and Windows (by Gerd, German, sorry)
- Hacking Rakudo Perl by Patrick Michaud
- This release of Fedora comes with Rakudo Perl, an implementation of the Perl 6 specification based on the Parrot virtual machine, which enables developers to write new applications or port existing ones to Perl 6. To install rakudo, use the Add/Remove Software tool or run:
su -c 'yum install rakudo'