Ryu Network Operating System http://www.osrg.net/ryu/
Ryu Network Operating System
- Name: yamahata
- Email: yamahata at private email ne jp
- Targeted release: Fedora 19
- Last updated: 2013-Jan-08
- Percentage of completion: 90%
Ryu is an Operating System for Software Defined Networking.
Ryu aims to provide a logically centralized control and well defined API that make it easy for operators to create new network management and control applications. Currently, Ryu manages network devices by using OpenFlow. You can say that Ryu is an OpenFlow Controller.
For Software Defined Networking or OpenFlow, please refer to Open Networking Foundation
Benefit to Fedora
Now Fedora (Fedora 17) includes OpenStack (and Open vSwitch). Ryu brings open source openflow controller which can cooperates well with OpenStack.
task: Ryu development:
- vlan support: 90%
- Ryu plugin support for Openstack Qauntum: keeping update for its development
- rpm package: available at 
- make sure that it works with dependent Fedora package. Especially OpenStack and Open vSwitch
How To Test
Typical usecase is with OpenStack.
- Install OpenStack package with Quantum enabled and configure them.
- install Ryu from package
- RYU Openstack Folsom environment HOWTO explains how to configure Ryu and OpenStack and expected results
With openstack nova/quantum, users can build cloud system with multi tenant network support with open vswitch.
openstack nova openstack quantum openvswitch
This feature can be removed entirely as contingency plan because no other package depends on this. OpenStack can work without Ryu.(With Ryu, it can provide better features.)
- Ryu is added for building block as OpenFlow controller for Software Defined Networking. It provides L2-isolated network with OpenStack.