Systemd unit cleanup and enhancement
Introducing new systemd documentation feature and bringing shipped units closer to upstream with various cleanups.
- Name: Jóhann B. Guðmundsson
- Email: johannbg AT gmail DOT com
Benefit to Fedora
Documentation= Field will bring more informational status output to our users base which links to the relevant man pages for services.
Removal of EnvironmentalFile entries
- Add Documentation= field which will contain relevant man pages to already existing units
- Change PIDFile=/var/run/foo fields to point to PIDFile=/run/foo instead
- Drop any EnvironmentalFile= field in units that points to /etc/sysconfig/foo files
How To Test
- Install/update to the package that contains the new native systemd unit file.
- Check if the update process happened cleanly
- Check if the service starts cleanly after install
- check if the service stops cleanly after and install
- Check if the service reloads cleanly correctly if applicable
- Check if the service status output contains reference to the relevant man pages
- Enable the service then restart
- check if the shutdown process happened cleanly with the service enabled
- check if the service started cleanly at startup
Other than the added informative documentation field in the units status output the user should not notice any change.
Depends on legacy sysv initscript to have been converted to native systemd units.
Continue to ship the systemd units as is.
- It's recommended that documentation for relevant applications that contained and used EnvironmentFile reference points users to | How_do I customize a unit file use instead when modifying units.
There shouldn't be anything we need to specifically say other than highlighting the change.
Comments and Discussion