Update Xfce to the upstream 4.8 release with many new improvements and features.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Targeted release: Fedora 14
- Last updated: 2010-06-14
- Percentage of completion: 10%
The Xfce project has been working on a new version, 4.8 for quite a while now.
The Xfce 4.8 development schedule is currently estimated to have a release on 2010-06-12, which didn't happen.
Will consult with upstream about release dates further.
Benefit to Fedora
Xfce 4.8 has a number of improvements and new features. A few of the more notable ones:
- Xfce menu will support menu merging.
- (Hopefully) bring back the graphical menu editor known from Xfce 4.4
- Thunar is ported from thunar-vfs to gvfs
- PolicyKit support in xfce4-session
- Multilib enhancements for xfce4-panel plugins.
Existing packages will need to be updated to 4.8 in rawhide. Three new packages have been reviewed and will need to be imported:
- garcon: Implementation of the freedesktop.org menu specification. Review request at
- tumbler: D-Bus service for applications to request thumbnails for various URI schemes and MIME types. Review request at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=549593 (In Progress)
- libxfce4ui: Commonly used Xfce widgets. Review request at
Two packages will need to be Obsoleted and blocked from Fedora 14:
- libxfce4menu (replaecd by garcon)
- libxfcegui4 (replaced by libxfce4ui)
How To Test
- install rawhide/Fedora 14 on any machine.
- yum install @xfce-desktop
- confirm gdm offers Xfce4 as a session type
- confirm you can select this session and login
- confirm settings changes can be made and saved, and are found after a logout/login cycle.
- confirm day to day desktop functions are working.
- confirm all settings dialogs come up and work.
(More specifics can be added when final changelogs are available)
- confirm yum groupupdate 'XFCE' works and all packages are properly updated/obsoleted.
- confirm the updated desktop works fine.
Revert to older Xfce 4.6 version. This may require a Epoch and rebuilding packages and plugins. Or if the dist-f14-xfce tag has not yet been merged back into rawhide, only reverts in cvs will be required.
- Xfce has been updated to version 4.8. This version includes many enhancements and bug fixes. See the tour at http://www.xfce.org/about/tour for more information.