Fedora 15 announcement/zh
Fedora 15(LoveLock) 有什么新东西呢?
- GNOME 3桌面环境 GNOME 3 是一个有全新的用户界面的下一代GNOME。它提供了为当今用户及科技设计的完全全新、现代感的桌面。Fedora 15是第一个默认包含GNOME3的主要发行版。GNOME 3是由一个有着广泛的来自上游Red Hat开发者和Fedora志愿者参与的开发的，它被紧密的整合到了Fedora 15中。GNOME Shell是GNOME 3的新的用户界面，优美、健壮、具有良好的扩展性，并且GNOME Shell的一些扩展以及GNOME tweak tool也在Fedora的软件源中。在此感谢Fedora桌面团队开发者以及社区志愿者。
- 加入Btrfs文件系统支持 Btrfs是由Red Hat开发者,Oracle和许多其他人参与的上游开发的下一代文件系统。Btrfs现在作为安装程序里的一个菜单项可用了(只针对非Live镜像,Live镜像只支持Ext4)，并且不像之前发布的版本一样需要给安装程序传递一个特殊的选项。Btrfs的可用使得朝着其作为下一版本Fedora默认文件系统的目标的渐进步伐提升了一个档次。执行文件系统检查的btrfsck程序正处于来自Fedora的上游的活跃开发中，但此次发布的版本仍然功能有限，因此强烈推荐用户使用此文件系统时坚持备份(无论如何备份都是个好主意！)。多谢Red Hat开发者Josef Bacik，他在上游参与及整合了以下特性——在Fedora中包含一了个利用Btrfs快照的yum插件(yum-plugin-fs-snapshot)，使得用户在需要时可以回滚更新。
印度语输入加速器是一个ibus平台上的预测型输入法。 它根据已有的部分输入提出完整单词建议，用户可以简单的从建议列表中选择一个单词，这样加快了输入速度也提高了精确性。 感谢Red Hat在印度浦那的由Pravin Satpute和Naveen Kumar领导的国际化团队的工程师们。
ABRT,Fedora中的崩溃报告工具，现在可以在Fedora Project服务器上远程地执行一部分崩溃处理。 远程 核心内存转储文件重新跟踪(coredump retracing) 避免用户不得不去下载大量debug信息并产生更好质量的崩溃报告。 重跟踪(retrace)服务器可以比本地重跟踪以更高的成功率生成良好的反向跟踪文件(backtrace)。
SELinux故障排除工具是一个图形化的工具，用于监视分析日志文件并对通用问题自动提供解决方案。 这次发布的版本中，这个工具被重新设计来在便于使用的同时提供更多解决方案。 多谢Red Hat的SELinux开发者Dan Walsh领导了此项功能的开发工作。
此次发布的Live镜像使用XZ替代旧版本中的gzip压缩方式，使其下载时更小(约10%)或提供更多的空间来放置默认可用应用。 多谢Fedora社区志愿者Bruno Wolff III将此功能整合进Fedora Live CD工具里。 多谢Phillip Lougher在squashfs上的工作和Lasse Collin在Linux内核上游加入XZ squashfs支持的工作。
- Better power management Fedora 15 includes a redesigned and better version of powertop and newer versions of tuned and pm-utils for better power management. The tuned package contains a daemon that tunes system settings dynamically to balance between power consumption and performance. It also performs various kernel tunings according to selected profile. The new version of tuned brings several bug fixes, improvements and profiles updates for better efficiency. Thanks to Jaroslav Škarvada, Red Hat developer, for integrating the newer powertop and pm-utils, as well as performing power measurement and benchmarking. Thanks to Jan Včelák, Red Hat developer, for developing tuned and integrating the newer version in this release.
- LibreOffice productivity suite LibreOffice is a community-driven and developed free and open source personal productivity suite which is a project of the not-for-profit organization, The Document Foundation. It is a fork of OpenOffice.org with a diverse community of contributors including developers from Red Hat, Novell and many volunteers. OpenOffice.org has been replaced with LibreOffice in this release. Thanks to Caolán McNamara from Red Hat for his upstream participation and for maintaining LibreOffice in Fedora.
- KDE plasma workspaces 4.6 and Xfce 4.8 desktop environments Fedora 15 includes new major versions of these alternative desktop environments. Fedora also provides dedicated KDE Plasma Workspaces and Xfce installable live images that include these desktop environments by default. Thanks to Red Hat developers and other Fedora community volunteers, part of KDE and Xfce special interest groups.
- Sugar .92 learning platform Sugar is a desktop environment originally designed for the OLPC project which has now evolved into a learning platform developed by the non-profit Sugar Labs foundation. This version provides major usability improvements for the first login screen and the control panel, as well as new features such as support for 3G networks. Thanks to Peter Robinson and Sebastian Dziallas, Fedora community volunteers, for leading the integration of this environment.
Fedora 15现在包含了机器人开发套件，一组提供了一个开箱即用的机器人开发环境和模拟器环境的软件包。 这个不断增长的套件包含如下特性：最新的机器人开发框架、模拟器环境、实用工具库、设备支持，并整合成了一个易于安装的包组。 参考 https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Robotics 查看更多详情。
感谢Fedora社区志愿者Tim Niemueller和Rich Mattes的参与。
- GCC 4.6
GCC 4.6是Fedora 15中的系统默认编译器，且Fedora 15里所有相关包都已使用其重新编译过。 开发者可以了解已编译代码的改善并可使用新增特性，比如改进过的C++0x支持、Go语言支持、Fortran中REAL*16支持和许多其他改进。
感谢来自Red Hat的Jakub Jelinek在上游的参与及领导整合到Fedora的工作。
- GDB 7.3
GDB新的7.3版本带有Archer和Fedora扩展，使调试器更加强大，从而改善了Fedora上的调试体验。 这些特性的大多数是由Red Hat的工程师编写的，所有gdb用户都可以从中获益。 GDB在此次Fedora 15发布版中的新特性包含:支持在SystemTap标记(probes)处设置断点、支持使用程序代码中的label、支持调试OpenCL语言、核心转储的线程调试和Pytthon脚本的改进。 Fedora中多数重要的包使用SystemTap静态标记预编译，现在在GDB中可以将这些标记作为目标来设置断点。
感谢来自Red Hat的Jan Kratochvil和其他开发者在上游的参与以及对此功能的整合。
Python 3.2：系统的Python 3组件已升级到3.2(系统的Python 2组件仍然保持2.7)，带来数百处修正和优化。 详细改动列表请查看 https://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/3.2.html 。
OCaml 3.12: OCaml 3.12是OCaml编程语言、calmp4宏语言、库文件和处理XML的CDuce的一个重大修正版。
Rails 3.0.5: Rails 3是对Ruby on Rails网页框架的一个大的升级。 它带来许多新的特性，比如优美的routing API,新的activemailer和activerecord API以及许多新的性能提升。
感谢Red Hat开发者Dave Malcolm, Richard W.M. Jones以及Mo Morsi在此次发布中领导各个特性的整合工作。
- Maven 3
Maven 3.0相较以前的版本提供了更好的稳定性和性能，后台做了大量工作来简化Maven插件的书写,并通过并行编译更进一步的改善了性能。 参考 https://maven.apache.org/docs/3.0/release-notes.html 获取更多信息。 Fedora在需要处仍然提供maven2的软件包来支持向后兼容性。
感谢Red Hat开发者Stanislav Ochotnický在此特性上的工作。
For system administrators
And don't think we forgot the system administrators:
- systemd system and session manager systemd is a system and session manager for Linux, compatible with SysV and LSB init scripts. systemd provides aggressive parallelization capabilities, uses socket and D-Bus activation for starting services, offers on-demand starting of daemons, keeps track of processes using Linux cgroups, supports snapshotting and restoring of the system state, maintains mount and automount points and implements a powerful transactional dependency-based service control logic. It can work as a drop-in replacement for sysvinit. Thanks to Lennart Poettering, Rahul Sundaram. Michal Schmidt, Bill Nottingham and others from Red Hat for leading development and integration of systemd as the default init system in this release and many Fedora community volunteers for their extensive testing and feedback.
- Dynamic firewall The old static firewall model requires restarting the firewall for changes, but loading and unloading of all the firewall kernel modules for configuration changes breaks stateful firewalling. This system is too inflexible to support today's requirements of modern applications and use cases such as virtualization or VPN. Fedora 15 includes a dynamic firewall background service called firewalld that is powerful and can maintain persistent connections while simultaneously offering the flexibility to change firewall settings without restarting the firewall. It also has a D-BUS interface to allow clients or services to request firewall changes. firewall-cmd (part of firewalld package) is a very simple yet powerful user space alternative to the iptables command: for instance, firewall-cmd --enable --service=samba --timeout=10 opens the appropriate ports for Samba for only ten seconds. Since the current implementation is a proof of concept, in this release, it is available in the Fedora software repository but not installed by default. The plan is to make it the default firewall solution in the next release. Thanks to Thomas Woerner from Red Hat for developing this feature.
- BoxGrinder appliance creator BoxGrinder is a set of free and open source tools used for building appliances (images/virtual machines) for various platforms (KVM, Xen, VMware, EC2). BoxGrinder creates appliances from simple plain text appliance definition files. Thanks to Marek Goldmann and others from Red Hat for upstream participation and bringing this feature into Fedora.
- Spice integration in Virt Manager With Fedora 15, virt-manager has been updated to support Spice, the complete open source solution for interaction with virtualized desktops. It is now possible to create a virtual machine with Spice support without touching the command line, easily taking advantage of all the Spice enhancements directly from virt-manager. Spice provides better performance and additional functionality (such as copy/paste between guest and host) compared to using VNC. Thanks to the spice-gtk library, a new client can be developed in Python or C, or with gobject-introspection bindings. Thanks to Marc-André Lureau, Red Hat developer, for leading development of this feature.
- Consistent network device naming Servers often have multiple Ethernet ports, either embedded on the motherboard, or on add-in PCI cards. Linux has traditionally named these ports ethX, but there has been no correlation of the ethX names to the chassis labels - the ethX names are non-deterministic. Starting in Fedora 15, Ethernet ports will have a new naming scheme corresponding to physical locations, rather than ethX. By changing the naming convention, system administrators will no longer have to guess at the ethX to physical port mapping, or invoke workarounds on each system to rename them into some "sane" order. This feature is enabled on all physical systems that expose network port naming information in SMBIOS 2.6 or later. Thanks to Jordan Hargrave, Matt Domsch and several other engineers from Dell for their long term upstream participation and collaboration with Fedora in integration of this feature.
- Setuid removal Fedora 15 removes setuid in several applications and instead specifically assigns the capabilities required by each application to improve security by reducing the impact of any potential vulnerabilities in these applications. Thanks to Daniel Walsh from Red Hat for leading the integration of this feature.
- Improved support for encrypted home directory Fedora 15 brings in improved support for eCryptfs, a stacked cryptographic filesystem for Linux. Starting from Fedora 15, authconfig can be used to automatically mount a private encrypted part of the home directory when a user logs in. Thanks to Paolo Bonzini from Red Hat for integration of this feature.
- RPM 4.9.0 package manager RPM 4.9.0 brings a number of immediate benefits to Fedora including the pluggable dependency generator, built-in filtering of generated dependencies, additional package ordering hinting mechanism, performance improvements and many bugfixes. More details at https://rpm.org/wiki/Releases/4.9.0, Thanks to Panu Matilainen from Red Hat and other RPM developers for their participation and help in integration of this feature in this release.
- Tryton ERP system Tryton is a three-tier general-purpose application platform and basis for an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system. Currently, the main modules available for Tryton cover accounting, invoicing, sale management, purchase management, analytic accounting and inventory management Thanks to Dan Horák, Fedora community volunteer for integration of this feature.
And that's only the beginning. A more complete list with details of all the new features on board Fedora 15 is available at:
OK, go get it. You know you can't wait.
If you are upgrading from a previous release of Fedora, refer to
For a quick tour of features in Fedora 15 and pictures of many friends of Fedora, check out our "short-form" release notes:
Fedora 15 full release and technical notes and guides for several languages are available at:
Fedora 15 common bugs are documented at:
Fedora spins are alternate versions of Fedora tailored for various types of users via hand-picked application set or customizations. Fedora spins include those providing alternative desktop environments like KDE, Xfce and LXDE by default but also more specialized ones such as Fedora Security Lab, Fedora Electronics Lab and Fedora Design Suite. More information on these spins and much more is available at
Looking forward to Fedora 16 (Verne)
Our next release, Fedora 16 codename is named after and to honor, Jules Verne. Jules Verne is considered a father of science-fiction. He was a science-fiction writer and futurist, best known for novels such as "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea". More information at
Even as we continue to provide updates with enhancements and bug fixes to improve the Fedora 15 experience, our next release, Fedora 16, is already being developed in parallel, and has been open for active development for several months already. We have an early schedule for an end of Oct 2011 release:
Features planned for Fedora 16 include the default use of Btrfs as the next generation filesystem, GRUB 2 bootloader by default, further enhancements to systemd system and session manager, dynamic firewall by default and much much more. Watch the feature list page for updates.
Join us today and help improve free and open source software and lead the future of Linux.
We need your help!
Our rapid release cycle and innovative features are a direct result of development of thousands of upstream projects and collaboration by a large distributed and diverse community with many volunteers and organizations across the globe, participating in the free and open source world and within Fedora. Fedora strives to bring these thousands of upstream projects together and serves as a integration point for them and for our users and contributors. Red Hat, the leading provider of open source solutions is a partner in our community and major sponsor of the Fedora project. To continue to advance and bring you the best of free software quickly and robustly. we are always looking for more people to join us in the Fedora community. You don't have to be a dazzling software programmer to participate and join us in developing Fedora although if you are one, you are welcome too! There are many ways to contribute beyond programming. You can report bugs, help translate software and content, test and give feedback on software updates, write and edit documentation, design and do artwork, perform system administration on our infrastructure, help with all sorts of promotional activities, and package free software for use by millions of Fedora users worldwide and more. Whether you are a kernel hacker or just a newcomer, there is always something for everyone to pitch in.
To get started, visit https://join.fedoraproject.org today!
If you are a journalist or reporter, you can find additional information at: