Fedora 17 Beta PPC Announcement
Gather around the BBQ! We are pleased to announce the availability of the beta release of Fedora 17 (Beefy Miracle) for Power. Want to get a taste of the future? Download it now:
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/releases/test/17-Beta/Fedora/ppc64/ (coming soon to a mirror near you)
What is the Beta Release?
The Beta release is the last important milestone of Fedora 17 for Power. Our continued focus leading up to the general release of Fedora 17 for Power will be on critical boot & install time bugs.
However, this is still a beta release so some problems may still lurk. The Common F17 Bugs list does apply to Fedora 17 for Power, in addition to the Known Issues below.
In addition to the general Fedora 17 features, Fedora 17 for Power also includes the following delightful new condiments:
- Initial support has been added to RPM for building Power7 optimized packages (use 'rpmbuild --target=ppc64p7'). YUM is also capable of correctly detecting Power7 systems and installing the appropriate RPM when both are present. Note however that no Power7 packages are currently included in Fedora 17 for Power.
- Fedora 17 for Power beta is also capable of upgrading a Fedora 16 for Power system, including the switch from yaboot to grub2 as the bootloader. This has only been extensively tested on IBM POWER systems.
- When installing via the cdrom and using kickstart, you will run into the following error "Unable to read package metadata. This may be due to a missing repodata directory. Please ensure that your install tree has been correctly generated."
- To work around this, add
sshd=1to the boot command line and then execute the following command, via ssh, after you hit that error:
ln -sf /run/initramfs/live /mnt/install/source
- Then select retry to allow the installation to continue. We expect to have this issue resolved in the GA release of Fedora 17 for Power. (Bugzilla #817084)
- The 32-bit PPC tree continues to be built and have installation images created for it, available here, however additional testing and code contributions from the community are still required to ensure that Fedora 17 for Power installs and works well on Apple Mac PPC hardware.
- Kickstart files generated by anaconda on F16 ppc64 cannot be used unchanged for F17 installs due to the change in the boot loader.
- Anaconda options have changed significantly between F16 and F17. Please ensure you are passing valid options according to this 
- If you are using static IP addresses and netbooting, please note that the syntax for ip= has changed.
- Do not pass the root= and repo= options at the same time while netbooting. If you pass repo= , then please ensure the LiveOS/squashfs.img is within that repo. Also make sure the .treeinfo file is within that repo.
- IBM hardware no longer needs to pass the 'serial' paramater.
Contributing to Fedora
More information on Fedora for Power can be found on at Architectures/PowerPC. The team is generally active and discussing issues in #fedora-ppc on Freenode.
For more information on common and known bugs, tips on how to report bugs, and the official release schedule, please refer to the release notes:
There are many ways to contribute beyond bug reporting. You can help translate software and content, test and give feedback on software updates, write and edit documentation, help with all sorts of promotional activities, and package free software for use by millions of Fedora users worldwide. To get started, visit http://join.fedoraproject.org today!