Fedora Ambassador Day North America 2010
Location and Dates
- Ames, Iowa - May 21-23, 2010
- Ames, Iowa
- Event will be hosted at Iowa State University
- Off-campus accommodations are at the Gateway Ames.
- Off campus housing is available at inode0's poolhall
- Virtual Reality Applications Center Tour on May 21 is possible (VRAC is home to the highest resolution 6-sided virtual reality cave in the world running on a well known downstream derivative of Fedora http://www.vrac.iastate.edu/c6.php)
|#||Full Name||Hotel||Friday's Dinner||Arrival Details||Departure Details|| Est. Travel $$
|2||Larry Cafiero||yes||yes||Thurs. 8:20 a.m. (Osceola, IA)||Sunday, 8:09 p.m. (Osceola, IA)||$284||taking the train from Oakland, CA to Osceola, IA; getting ride to Ames with inode0|
|4||Ivan Makfinsky||yes||yes||Thursday, 11.15pm, Des Moines||Sunday, 5pm, Des Moines||~$130 rental/fuel||I second the sleeping where stabbing won't happen - see below. Have reserved a rental car for carpooling.|
|5||Justin O'Brien||possibly||hopefully||Midwest Airlines IND to DSM 1334/1334 Dep. 9:53am, arv 11:33am||US Airlines 7784/7388 Dep. DSM 5:23PM Arv. 11:31||$323.79||coming from Indiana would need financial assistance, is willing to sleep anywhere that won't get him stabbed by hobos|
|6||David Nalley||yes||yes||GSP to DSM - Delta 5422/1978 - Dep. 6:55pm, layover in ATL, Arv. DSM 11:15pm||DSM to GSP - Delta Air Lines 3324/3772 - Dep. 1:40pm, layover in DTW, arrive GSP 8:02pm||~$375 for flight||coming from SC|
Delta 2591 (SLC->MSP)
Delta 3501 (DSM->MSP)
|$450 (flight, car), price keeps going up :(||Approved for reimbursement $$|
|8||Robyn Bergeron||yes||yes||US Airways 2818 (PHX->DSM) Lv 6:53PM, Arv 11:46PM||US Airways 2757 (DSM->PHX) Lv 2:50PM Arv 3:50PM||~$350 (flight)||coming from AZ, would love to discuss what marketing can do for ambassadors as a topic|
|9||Ian Weller||ICT to DSM - Delta Air 4004/4030 - Dep. 4:40pm, Arv 8:29pm||DSM to ICT - Delta Air Lines 3849/3686 - Dep. 12:10pm - arv. 4:13pm||~$475 (flight)||Very tentative, but schedule is clear for these days if people want me and I can be sponsored. Wouldn't mind traveling via car either, KS is relatively close|
|10||Dennis Gilmore||yes||yes||Thursday sometime||Sunday evening||~$200 (rental and petrol)||coming from Central Illinois, happy to pick people up on the way|
- Ivan Makfinsky (11:15pm), David Nalley (11:15pm), and Robyn Bergeron (11:46pm) in Ivan's rented vehicle.
- Ian Weller (8:30pm) and Clint Savage (8:37pm) in Clint's rented vehicle.
- Larry Cafiero (8:30am, Train station)
- Justin O'Brien (11:33am, airport)
- Max Spevack - John picked him up, yay!
- Dennis Gilmore - Renting a vehicle for his transportation
- John Rose, Max Spevack, Dennis Gilmore are staying at Chez John.
- All other attendees at Gateway Ames.
- Robyn Bergeron (king room)
- Clint Savage / Ian Weller
- Larry Cafiero / Justin O'Brien
- David Nalley / Ivan Makfinsky
- Gateway Ames Location
- Address: 2100 Green Hills Drive Ames, Iowa 50014 1.800.FOR.AMES
- Google Maps
Add work items here that we should cover (we will formalize a schedule once we have a good foundation in place). Regardless of location and dates please contribute to the proposed work product of our next Fedora Ambassador Day by adding topics important to you below.
Agenda Table - Ideas and Deliverables
|List of Ambassador marketing materials needs to give to marketing to produce, prioritized.||Cover deliverables and ideas including: Marketing Flyer and how it can be updated; Generic slide deck template for presentations / events, Slide deck with talking points for each cycle, Laptop show, enhance generic Talking Points, rewrite elevator pitch. Discuss whether existing materials that marketing produces are useful for Ambassadors. Lots of other ideas welcome. Not sure yet on time needed.||Robyn Bergeron||1.5-2 hrs|
|SOP / Process for handing off Marketing information to Ambassadors each cycle.||What is the best / most effective way for Marketing to disseminate Talking Points, etc. to Ambassadors each cycle? How can we be more helpful? Work more with FAMSCo, have 2x per cycle joint meetings, other ideas? No more than one hour needed.||Robyn Bergeron||1 hr|
|Discuss mentoring in North America||It seems even with the amount of ambassador mentors that manatees (aka mentorees) who initiate the mentoring process do not complete the tasks in front of them. Perception? or Process? What is the issue here, and how do we fix it?||Clint Savage inode0||60-90 minutes|
|I did it! -- An application that recognizes contributors/contributions and awards karma or something|| The name is exactly what we want to encourage, contribution. The value add here is to enable ambassadors with tasks that can be completed and tracked simply by updating a wiki or going to an event. The karma earned over time helps track activity and encourages more ambassadors to get involved. Note: This is still a very basic idea and needs tons of hashing out.
Could possibly use some Statistics 2.0 loving. --Ian Weller 21:52, 20 April 2010 (UTC)
|Clint Savage (and possibly Ian Weller)||1/2 - full day but can be done asynchronously once we have the main idea down (2-3 hours probably)|
|Swag Procurement and Distribution||With a couple of years under our belts doing this it is time to take a look at it from a different perspective (hindsight). Goal: Improve processes, eliminate Max (meant only in a really friendly way), keep stock, know who has stock, etc.||inode0||45-60 minutes|
|Growth of Regional Leadership||I'm really keen to involve more people in several key areas to keep the ship moving. We have always encouraged the growth of swag producers but not so much in the distribution chain or the regional leadership itself. When is it time for new regional leadership? Is that construct still even useful? Goal: Leave with a reason to not think that if herlo, lcafiero, and ke4qqq went away we would collapse. Or put another way, leave with a plan to engage more ambassadors in the leadership process and in all other areas of FAmNA.||inode0||45-60 minutes|
|Budget||While budget "authority" has been shifting from the direction of FAmSCo in the direction of regional leadership there are some practical problems that remain. Goal: Develop a more clearly defined budget process allowing regional leaders to make meaningful budget decisions and be responsible for FAmNA spending Fedora resources in an accountable fashion.||inode0||30-45 minutes|
|Wiki||The FADNA wiki pages could use review and maintenance. For example, it takes a bit of navigating to find this page. Wikis tend to experience sprawl of sorts and pages get lost. Goal: Develop ideas which will help in keeping the wiki organized and updated.||Ivan Makfinsky (and Ian Weller can help)|
|Event Planning||What do you do when you have an event to organize? What are the things you need to know when you are organizing an event, whether it's representing Fedora to a LUG, or tabling at a larger expo? Goal: Have ambassadors be both knowledgable and comfortable with planning events at any level.||Larry Cafiero||2 hours (coffee included)|
|How to embrace disgruntled users of other distros||With the past/present/future unpopular changes in several distros there are a lot of long time GNU/Linux users that were/are/will be roaming the Free Landscape. How do we make ourselves stand out to these people||Justin O'Brien||1 hour|
Thursday, May 20, 2010
- Everyone arrives, with the exception of threethirty.
- 40 pounds of meat is prepped.
Friday, May 21, 2010
- 9:30am - 10:00am: Introductions, Logistics, Wireless access. Review Agenda so we're all clear. (inode0, rbergero)
- 10:00am - 12:00pm: Event Planning -- http://mspevack.fedorapeople.org/fadna2010-events-lcafiero.odp (lcafiero)
- 12:00pm - 2:00pm: Food and VRAC. (inode0)
- 2:00pm - 4:00pm: Budget, swag procurement & distribution, regional leadership growth. (inode0)
- 4:00pm - 5:00pm: Wiki maintenance. (mafinsky, ianweller)
Evening: Dining at Dublin Bay.
- Dublin Bay: 320 S. 16th St. Ames, IA (515) 956-3580
- Google Maps - Dublin Bay
Saturday, May 22, 2010
- 10:00am - 12:30pm: Marketing <--> Ambassadors relationship.
- List of Ambassador marketing materials needs to give to marketing to produce, prioritized. (rbergero)
- SOP / Process for handing off Marketing information to Ambassadors each cycle. (rbergero)
- 12:30pm - 1:00pm: Order some lunch in, take a break, walk around.
- 1:00pm - 2:30pm: Discuss mentoring in North America, while eating. (herlo. and herlo, sorry about eating while you're talking. This seems like a nice discussion time where we can eat and talk, though. I'll switch off notetaking / whiteboarding with you. --Rbergero 03:57, 26 April 2010 (UTC)
- 2:30pm - 5:00pm: Wiki discussion
Evening: Pool (the table kind, not the water kind) @ casa de inode0, accompanied by dinner.
Sunday, May 23, 2010
- Use this time wisely - wrap up anything we did not cover or come to conclusion on.
- 4:00pm - 5:00pm: How to embrace disgruntled users of other distros. (threethirty)
- 11:00am - 12:00pm: Wrapup. Document completed items from FAD. (rbergero)
- Most attendees depart in the afternoon.
We need some event buttons ...
Initial estimate is to set aside $3k for this event from CommArch, and see how far that can get us in terms of travel sponsorships, etc.