Flock 2014 Strasbourg proposal
- Haïkel Guémar
- TODO: please insert your name if you want to join the organizing committee
Strasbourg is the capitale of Alsace region in eastern France and the seat of the European Parliament. It is very close of the border with Germany, and the city and its region are historically german-speaking.
The historic center Grande Île (Grand Island) has been classified by the Unesco as "World Heritage Site" in 1988. It is an island on the Ill river with many medieval buildings.
- Strasbourg-Entzheim international airport (10 min from downtown)
It offers direct flight from most major city in Europe and connecting flights from major cities in the world.
|Airport||Price for return tickets||Duration|
Cheaper from CDG is to take the train, around 90€ per travel if taken at last moment, 50€ if taken in advance
- Baden Baden aiport is the nearest german airport, and this is were the lowcost companies land.
- It is well connected to the european rail network and France with high-speed rail network (TGV)
- shuttle train allows travellers to be in Strasbourg downtown within 10 minutes and there 4 trains per hour.
- car rental, taxis are also available though the shuttle train is easier.
- Strasbourg has an efficient and dense public transportation
- Université of Strasbourg in the Atrium building
- Our proposal is to co-locate Flock with  (see Guadec 2014 bid details) or at least have an overlap (one/two days) at least.
- One common social event with GUADEC
Pros & Cons
- co-located with GUADEC 2014
Fedora Desktop is a GNOME based distros, and many of our contributors working on GNOME can't make it in Flock/FUDCon, like at Flock 2013 due to conflicting dates. That is a perfect chance to involve them in our discussions, all the more, since we are discussing currently the future of Fedora which includes the GNOME community. GUADEC Strasbourg organizers are ok with our proposal and are collaborating with us. That's the strong point of this bid and an unique occasion to get GNOME contributors on board.
- Strasbourg is a beautiful medieval city, an european capitale. It's a german-speaking city in France and well connected to Europe.
- French & German communities are the most active european local community and Strasbourg is at the border of both countries. It's both French and German speaking.
- We'd like to invite some Debian Developers working on Fedora projects like fedmsg (Nicolas Dandrimont, Simon Chopin), Firehose (Stefano Zacchiroli, Sylvestre Ledru) so they can participate to hackatons at Flock. They agreed to participate at Flock if their schedule allows it. We're also considering other opening to our larger community.
This is a great occasion to collaborate with other distros.
- We are discussing with different potential partners for sponsoring Flock:
It employs many Debian Developers including one former DPL. They offered us to set up video recording of our conference with professional equipment. Some  recorded by Irill are online for show.
- Inria the french computer science research institute which has been sponsoring many FLOSS events and projets.
We are actually discussing with Stéphane Ribas, their community manager if Inria could possibly sponsor Flock.
Basically, the motto of our proposal is "Strengthening our bounds with our upstream and fellow distros communities"
- co-locating with GUADEC ?
Please check the Flock Bid Process
|Contacting Alexandre (GUADEC) for venue||TBD||hguemar|
|Contacting Irill for media partnership||in-progress||hguemar|
|Contacting Inria for sponsoring||in-progress||hguemar|
|Contacting other potential sponsors||TBD|
|Estimated cost of flights from BOS, RDU, JFK, PRG||in-progress||misc|
|Lodging rates & distance||TBD|
|Social Event proposals||TBD|